General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ENOUGH with the morbid biker down threads

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Lightyear68
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 44 Posts
Default ENOUGH with the morbid biker down threads

Why do forum members feel the need to post threads about deadly motorcycle crashes?

Statistically speaking, using numbers from Maryland Crash Statistics, 298 people died in auto crashes in 2011 while only 76 bikers died.

Even though it happens 4 times as often, nobody posts when cagers die in crashes. I'm no statistician, but the numbers tell me I'm more likely to be killed from crashing my car than from crashing my bike.

I get the safety awareness aspect, but do we really need constant reminders of fallen riders?

ENOUGH with the morbid biker down threads!

Old 10-21-2013, 08:20 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

You don't understand the concept of percentages. You should pay more, not less attention to those threads.

From http://blog.lib.umn.edu/olso1784/motorcycle/

Per vehicle mile traveled, motorcyclists have a 34-fold higher risk of death in a crash than people driving other types of vehicles.(1) And while 20 percent of passenger vehicle crashes lead to injury of death, as many as 80% of motorcycle crashes cause significant morbidity or death.(2) Even more lopsided, among fatalities in two vehicle crashes involving motorcycles and passenger vehicles, 98% of the fatalities were the motorcycle riders, while only two percent were in passenger vehicle occupants. (3)

Old 10-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Yeah I don't really want to hear about them either.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Lightyear68
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ron750
You don't understand the concept of percentages. You should pay more, not less attention to those threads.

From http://blog.lib.umn.edu/olso1784/motorcycle/

Per vehicle mile traveled, motorcyclists have a 34-fold higher risk of death in a crash than people driving other types of vehicles.(1) And while 20 percent of passenger vehicle crashes lead to injury of death, as many as 80% of motorcycle crashes cause significant morbidity or death.(2) Even more lopsided, among fatalities in two vehicle crashes involving motorcycles and passenger vehicles, 98% of the fatalities were the motorcycle riders, while only two percent were in passenger vehicle occupants. (3)
I get the increased risk of dying on a bike once there is a crash...but there are more auto crashes than bike crashes. Extend the logic in an exaggerated example. If 100% of bikers died in crashes, but there were only 1 bike crash per year, then the risk of dying on a bike would be low. To cite percentages is misleading without proper perspective.

Unnecessary alarm and thrill-kill, I say.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:30 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

I agree. It brings me down. We all know the risks.

On the other hand, you don't have to click on the thread.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:33 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lightyear68
Why do forum members feel the need to post threads about deadly motorcycle crashes?

Statistically speaking, using numbers from Maryland Crash Statistics, 298 people died in auto crashes in 2011 while only 76 bikers died.

Even though it happens 4 times as often, nobody posts when cagers die in crashes. I'm no statistician, but the numbers tell me I'm more likely to be killed from crashing my car than from crashing my bike.

I get the safety awareness aspect, but do we really need constant reminders of fallen riders?

ENOUGH with the morbid biker down threads!
Thank you.

There is no point.

Do they post fatalities over in the Ford Ranger forum?

I don't get it...hey I don't know this dude but just read he died. Really?

Old 10-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Lightyear68
Tourer

Originally Posted by nevada72

On the other hand, you don't have to click on the thread.
I stopped clicking a long time ago, but most of the posts telegraph the content..."A sad day..." "Lost a buddy today..." etc...

I encourage the forum designers to consider a separate area of the forum for these death posts.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:42 PM
01fxdxt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

Here you go FELLAHS:

Attached Thumbnails ENOUGH with the morbid biker down threads-images.jpg   ENOUGH with the morbid biker down threads-imagescaq9ogr9.jpg  
Old 10-21-2013, 08:45 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by Lightyear68
I encourage the forum designers to consider a separate area of the forum for these death posts.
If you click on "Forums" under the HDForums.com logo, at the bottom of the drop down, there's a section called "Memorial Forums", with 3 sub forums.

I only point this out because it's disturbing to read about these deaths, especially when the OP doesn't now them. If they do know them, they should/could post them there. As for the other threads, they could be put there too.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:46 PM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by 01fxdxt
Here you go FELLAHS:
Thats wonderful..............

We all know it happens,way more than it should, but I'm with the OP on this one.Don't care to be constantly reminded of it.

Quick Reply: ENOUGH with the morbid biker down threads