General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are all Full Face Helmets noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:33 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Are all Full Face Helmets noisy?

I have a decent agv I bought 6 years ago and now a new AFX which I bought for cheaps though it looks great and is very comfortable. Both are quite noisy though and I was hoping to forego using ear plugs wearing a FF, but I'm beginning to wonder. Closing the vents only mitigates a little noise on either making no real appreciable difference. So is there a truly quiet full face helmet out there or do they all have a fair amount of wind noise? I am riding without a windshield and a FF makes a huge difference in riding comfort.

Also, riding yesterday I took off in my tinted shield but misjudged my time getting back before dark so had to lift the shield and put on a pair of clear glasses, so will probably just put the clear shield back on and ride with sunglasses in the future. My agv is painful to wear sunglasses with; the AFX is fine.

Last edited by GeorgiaGirl; 10-28-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a Road King so I ride with a windshield. My full face visor is up 99% of the time (with glasses). It is not noisy at all. But holy cow! When I put down the visor it is like being in a hurricane (noise wise). I have found this true on all three of the FF helmets I have owned.

Love the FF, but hate the visor. For me the visor is only good for rain.

Last edited by Pumba11; 10-28-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:38 AM
jkelley
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found fit is the true rule on helmets and noise. I have also found cheap helmets for me never work for noise or one reason or another. I did the same with the shields and a lot of helmets have a sun shade in them now that work pretty well.
I wear full face most all the time and have found for my melon Arai makes the best shape to fit me and I use the one with the visor that mitigates the need for either a tinted face shield or a sun shade. Kinda looks like a motocross helmet but it works for me.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:59 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My full face modular is quieter than any other helmet I have ever worn. Face shield up or down. Mine fits snug. I bought it for winter riding and now use it most of the time --even in summer. I hate sun screen lotion on my face and the face shield in the up position is a good uv blocker in the sun. One Harley has a windshield and the helmet is just a sunscreen/noise blocker for me but the other has the windshield off. Helmet makes riding more comfortable in some situations with the windshield removed.

Last edited by oldairboater; 10-28-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Squee
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkelley
I have found fit is the true rule on helmets and noise. I have also found cheap helmets for me never work for noise or one reason or another. I did the same with the shields and a lot of helmets have a sun shade in them now that work pretty well.
I wear full face most all the time and have found for my melon Arai makes the best shape to fit me and I use the one with the visor that mitigates the need for either a tinted face shield or a sun shade. Kinda looks like a motocross helmet but it works for me.
+1
I moved to an Arai and I noticed a reduction in noise over my last (cheap) helmet. However, I do still need to wear earplugs (I also ride with no windshield). From what I gather, no matter the helmet, that is going to be a typical response from those who do wear a full face.

I noticed that Arai makes visors or sun shades. Typically, I wear a tinted shield but carry a clear one with me for the just in case. I might have to pick up the visor for those days I have no room for the extra shield.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:05 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator

Originally Posted by oldairboater
My full face modular is quieter than any other helmet I have ever worn. Face shield up or down. Mine fits snug. I bought it for winter riding and now use it most of the time --even in summer. I hate sun screen lotion on my face and the face shield in the up position is a good uv blocker in the sun. One Harley has a windshield and the helmet is just a sunscreen/noise blocker for me but the other has the windshield off. Helmet makes riding more comfortable in some situations with the windshield removed.
What brand and model is it?

Old 10-28-2013, 09:06 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator

Originally Posted by Squee
+1
I moved to an Arai and I noticed a reduction in noise over my last (cheap) helmet. However, I do still need to wear earplugs (I also ride with no windshield). From what I gather, no matter the helmet, that is going to be a typical response from those who do wear a full face.

I noticed that Arai makes visors or sun shades. Typically, I wear a tinted shield but carry a clear one with me for the just in case. I might have to pick up the visor for those days I have no room for the extra shield.
Where do you carry your extra shield? I don't have bags and only carry a messenger bag with me when I want to carry more than will fit into my fork bag.

Last edited by GeorgiaGirl; 10-28-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:22 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

My AFX is pretty quiet. Glad you brought them up, they are a good helmet maker and the cool thing is, if you look at thier website, you can get a heated helmet from them. Looks like a regular FF but heated for snowmobile use. Since I ride year round, I might try one for the winter. Good quality head catcher

Old 10-28-2013, 09:30 AM
flagirl
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a HJC FF (IS-16 or something like that) with the built in sunglasses. It fits quite snugly, but not uncomfortably. Ventilation is great, and I have no problem with peripheral vision. I find the built in sunglasses to be so convenient so I don't have to carry extra sunglasses or worry about swapping visors at night.

I find with this helmet that I have no noise issue. I have researched and found that the higher quality helmet you have, the more noise is reduced. If budget permits, I would go with Shoei or Arai. However, I found HJC to be a great helmet that's reasonably priced.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:36 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator

Originally Posted by jakenok
My AFX is pretty quiet. Glad you brought them up, they are a good helmet maker and the cool thing is, if you look at thier website, you can get a heated helmet from them. Looks like a regular FF but heated for snowmobile use. Since I ride year round, I might try one for the winter. Good quality head catcher
Mine is not. But it really is no noisier than the agv which I spent $180 if I recall correctly. It whistles and there is quite a bit of air noise, but it is comfortable and the field of vision is great. I think they're nice helmets for the money for sure.

Thanks flagirl, I'll check out that HJC. Some say they don't notice much windnoise with their FF and others say they all do it to a lesser or greater degree and just to wear ear plugs if it bothers you but as my experience is limited, I wanted to ask.

Quick Reply: Are all Full Face Helmets noisy?