General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 05:18 PM
DaddyK
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet Question

Good Day,

Have been riding with a full face helmet for years and this summer decided to pick up a 1/2 helmet. I ended up buying a Scorpion. It fits well and doesn't look bad, but as soon as I get up over 40 it wants to pull off my head. My question is whether this is normal for a 1/2 helmet. Personally I can't stand it. Bugs the hell out of me.

As far as I am concerned I wasted a good amount of money and now I will be purchasing a 3/4(suggestions?). Going to ask for a test ride with the next helmet.

DK

Old 10-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Shep68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened with my half. Could be a size too big. Don't know what you are riding, but I added fork fang lowers to the Heritage and pretty well shut down all the wind blowing up my chest, neck and head area. No more turbulence and no more strangulation from helmet straps.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:24 PM
gar187er
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not all 1/2s have this problem. this is the reason most riders dont get one with the brim on the helmet. it will help reduce glare but increase lift.

my bell rides up if its not pulled down tight on my head, but only when i get over 70.

seeing as you went from a FF to a 1/2 its no wonder you feel the lift.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:25 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3/4 aint no better. Any helmet without front coverage will catch the wind. If you dont have a windshield it will give you a stiff neck at the end of a full days riding.

The kool 1/2 and 3/4 helmets are cute for flower sniffin and city rides and I have an open face helmet too, but rarely wear it. I ride too much and have had too much crap draw blood on my face and break eye pro. If you do a lot of miles get a windshield or a helmet that covers the face.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:37 PM
DaddyK
3rd Gear

Yea, always use the full face for commuting and long hauls. I bought the 1/2 for bar hopping and back road summer rides with the wife. She has a 3/4 Fullmer with a bubble shield and has zero issues. Oh well, good to vent anyway.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:37 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a half helmet and never had that problem. However, I did buy a 3/4 helmet about a month ago for other reasons and it turned out to be a keeper - at least for me. It's an H-D "Trail" helmet made by KBC. You can find it on the H-D website under "apparel".

I wrote a review on it after an almost 2,000 mile ride:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...-4-helmet.html It's about the 4th post down on the first page.

Not trying to sell you one, just wrote down my experience. Good luck in your search.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:38 PM
sarpeezy
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got a 1/2 helmet, the helmet kind of tries to pull of my head, but that doesnt bother as much as how much wind noise i get

Old 10-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Killerman#1
Cruiser
Default Fairings and windshields

Yep ,a half helmet can drive ya nuts at speed without a windshield or fairing.
I picked up a modular helmet a few years back to wear on my non-fairing bikes an it works real well. My half helmet is for the Bagger. Killer

Old 10-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Sw1
Road Captain
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm glad you posted this I am having the same issue with my half helmet. I just ordered a modular one to replace it. I guess i will save the half helmet for a future bagger.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:07 AM
TRIED N TRUE
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride a novelty half helmet and no front fairing on my Dyna. It sucks at highway speeds (70+). It's loud as **** and it always wants to come up. But I don't do too much long distance riding, so I deal with it until my fairing goes on this winter.

One thing I have noticed that does help is I wear a baseball hat or bandana under my lid. It seems to grip better than without. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Helmet Question