General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sometimes the posts here get depressing

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 02:42 PM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Sometimes the posts here get depressing

Why must almost every thread end up with people attacking, rather then helping and then a recital of every bike they ever owned and the description of the million miles they have logged on one of the 26 Harleys they previously owned? I am far from a "touring" rider. I am lucky to get 7,000 miles a year in on my bike. Does that mean I don't love to ride? No, it means I have other obligations. I am not trying to disparage those who ride more as that is a great gift of time that they have available. But because you log more miles does that make you better? I don't own all the HD branded doo dads. I don't dress like a "biker" whatever that means. I do some of the work on my bike but I also let the dealer do some of the work or my local indy, depending on the project. Based on earnings, I am better off earning and paying for repairs to my bike then I am wrenching on it myself, then I am losing time from working or riding just to say I did it myself. Now I appreciate those who do it all themselves and I am sure it is more economical for most to do the work themselves. Great. But just because some take their bike into the shop does not make them any less of a "biker" does it? Rant over. Flame on!

Old 10-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 6 Posts

It's all been said a million times. I'm the only real biker here BTW. Flame over.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:57 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Well, I wouldn't say depressing.

I belong to a few non-motorcycle forums and they are not near as bad as this place. Tons of Internet Bravehearts out there who think they have a monopoly on how to live. In comparison, I find this place rather collegial, actually.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:58 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 352 Posts

Rarely happens in the EVO SECTION.

BTW, I'm a poser................ BWAAAAAAAAAAA ;-)

Old 10-29-2013, 02:59 PM
rob0225
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts

There is definitely a plethora of "help" here.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:03 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 603 Likes on 326 Posts

Usually by the 2nd or 3rd page the thread goes south.. Wait until winter we all get cranky..

Old 10-29-2013, 03:07 PM
DivineDark
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

It's noticeable here, but not nearly as bad as some of the other forums out there. There are a couple folks here that look down their nose at people that don't do it the "old-school" way, but they're few and far between.

I'm more like you. I make more money working than I do in expenses with my bike in the shop, and my personal time is a premium. I have a job, working wife, young son, house to maintain, school functions, other hobbies... I'm not trying to be a biker... I'm not trying to do it the "right" way... I'm just a guy that has grown up in a motorcycle family and loves to ride.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:11 PM
Shep68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just one thing to remember here. Never let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:14 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 10-29-2013, 03:15 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

As far as the "I work on my own bike and you're not a real biker if you don't" thing….

Well, I would hope that most people realize it's pretty rare to be in a position to do EVERYTHING on your bike.

I used to live in an apartment and there were no repairs allowed in my parking space per the lease. So unless I wanted to be bitched at by the landlady, I had to go the dealer most of the time.

Got our duplex this year, me and my fiancee, and now I have a small garage. I built up a nice tool box and some know how and have managed to do all the little jobs on my Slim. It's fun and I thank people here for helping me get that going. Heck, I even just go out there some nights to fark around and experiment with different little adjustments or aesthetics on my Slim.

But I still have the dealership do the bigger jobs. (I make sure to buy any parts needed on sale or on Ebay myself.)

The reason I let the dealer do that work? Because I would rather spend my weekend with loved ones, or watching football, than sweating it out my dusty *** garage all day.

If you got a problem with that, I don't give a flying fark.

Quick Reply: Sometimes the posts here get depressing