General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storage in extreme cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 09:20 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Storage in extreme cold

I'm keeping someone else's bike over the winter, but will have to put it in my unheated trailer as my heated garage is full...temps here will go down to -30 or more and winter will be long. Other than removing the battery, are there any other tips for storage in extreme cold?

Old 11-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Fill the tank and ad a fuel stabilizer then run the bike for a few min to get the fuel through the lines. Put some steel wool in the exhaust tips to keep any critters out. Now shut the door and forget about it until riding season. BTW many like to change the fluids before winter storage. That's about all you really need to do. I have stored bikes for many winters in my unheated garage here in WI with very low temps and have never had a problem come spring time.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:09 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Yep, what Misbehaven said. Plus, I also put some oil down the sparkplug holes, turn it over a few times (disconnect the plug wires), as it helps to coat the cylinder walls with oil to prevent condensation from forming. Also some damp-gone in the trailer might not be a bad idea.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkey
I'm keeping someone else's bike over the winter, but will have to put it in my unheated trailer as my heated garage is full...temps here will go down to -30 or more and winter will be long. Other than removing the battery, are there any other tips for storage in extreme cold?
Don't kiss any metal parts

Old 11-01-2013, 12:19 PM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
Fill the tank and ad a fuel stabilizer then run the bike for a few min to get the fuel through the lines. Put some steel wool in the exhaust tips to keep any critters out. Now shut the door and forget about it until riding season. BTW many like to change the fluids before winter storage. That's about all you really need to do. I have stored bikes for many winters in my unheated garage here in WI with very low temps and have never had a problem come spring time.
Right on.
I do like to change the oil before, so the moisture in the old oil isn't in the engine.
Cover it with a bed sheet and pray for an early spring...

BTW, Misbehaven, I live in Plymouth. Good to see another local on here!

Ken

Old 11-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,081 Likes on 1,514 Posts

these 'cold' threads are depressing, manopause(Post Motorcycle Season) is setting in...ugh.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 616 Likes on 385 Posts

Fill the tank and ad a fuel stabilizer then run the bike for a few min to get the fuel through the lines. Put some steel wool in the exhaust tips to keep any critters out. Now shut the door and forget about it until riding season.
Only thing I do additionally is connect a battery tender and place a breathable cover over it. If the floor in the storage area sweats from condensation, you might also roll the bike onto a piece of carpet, plywood or cardboard.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

+1 and I would add a Battery Tender

Old 11-01-2013, 09:47 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Things I've learned on this site.
- Tires will get flat spots so you have to jack it up. But leaving the jack on the frame that long will bend the frame at the point where the jack sits.
- If you don't drain out the old oil, the acid buildup in the oil will dissolve the cast metal inside your engine and by spring your engine will be totaled.
- If you cover the bike condensation will form under the cover and rust out all the chrome parts.
- If you don't cover the bike it will get a layer of sediment from the dust in the air that will ruin the finish on the bike beyond repair.

So the way I figure it, a bike can't make it through the winter. We're all screwed.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:54 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,248 Likes on 11,129 Posts

This is how they store a bike in Sweden.

Quick Reply: Storage in extreme cold