General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Marine Sues Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:49 AM
jdub099
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marine Sues Dealer

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...opstories.html

Hope this isn't a repost. I skimmed the recent topics and didn't see anything.

Thoughts?

Old 11-06-2013, 09:12 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Unfortunately, the family is going to have to prove the Marine is mentally incompetent to void the sale. He signed the paperwork, nobody twisted his arm. It's a legitimate sale and the dealership has no obligation to accept the return of the bike. The dealership has no "patriotic duty" here. The Marine walked in, wanted to buy a bike and they sold him one. It's business.

Yes, it is an unfortunate situation and as a former Marine myself, I feel for the young man. Maybe the negative publicity on Good Morning America will make the dealership acquiesce, let's see what happens.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:21 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I read the article, and fail to see where there is any fault with the dealer. An adult came in and bought a motorcycle. Saying that he told the dealership about his condition prior to the sale is meaningless because it assumes that everyone knows what PTSD is. Even knowing what it is, the dealers are not doctors and can't be expected to know all of the significance.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:23 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,072 Likes on 2,556 Posts

If he never rode it more than a few miles, they should just take it back and void his contract. At least that'd make them look better to the public.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:26 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

If "That day is very much a dream-like recollection to him" and "he wasn't completely aware of what he was doing", how sure should we be that he really "told the employees that he had PTSD, while pacing, sweating profusely and acting jittery"? Or that a "salesperson even gave him water so that he could take his Xanax"?

I feel for the young man, but IMO the dealership has no obligation to take the bike back. IF the dealer decides to do so, good for him. IF NOT, fight the suit otherwise, every one who suffers buyers remorse will be claiming some sort of mental defect.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,894 Likes on 1,497 Posts

It took me more signatures to buy a bike, then join the military.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,894 Likes on 1,497 Posts

The no license thing could be an issue.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Jbizzle
Road Captain

They can't just take it back. Once the bike has been legally sold, it can no longer then be sold "as new" again. Therefore the dealership would lose money all the way around. I don't want to sound callous but if this guy isn't to be held responsible for his actions, he needs to have a guardian make those decisions for him. Otherwise its just buyers remorse and taking advantage of a hot button issue such as PTSD to get out of a bad purchase.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:38 AM
jdub099
Road Captain

Originally Posted by slhanks4
as a former Marine myself
I thought there was no such thing as a "former" Marine.

I pretty much agree with you. I'd say maybe some retraining of the sales staff might be a good idea because this is probably a PR nightmare.

All I know is that while most H-D Salesman I've dealt with seem like good guys, they aren't the type of dudes I'd want to ever have more than one beer with. Good salespeople just aren't my type of people, usually. I'd be a horrible salesperson. I'd have told that kid to call his dad.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:43 AM
acunn1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most dealers won't let you leave even for a test ride without a valid motorcycle license...Something doesn't sit right...

Quick Reply: Marine Sues Dealer