General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dang tendinitis!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 09:03 AM
stellarpod
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Dang tendinitis!

A few weeks prior to picking up my new 2014 Ultra Limited I began feeling nagging pain in my left elbow. I've had tendinitis in that elbow before, so it was nothing new. Last week, I felt like I was on the road to recovery, as the pain had subsided to a large degree, that is until I road to work on Friday. Apparently, clutching with my left hand is causing more damage and prolonging the healing process.

In my experience the only way to get over tendinitis is to isolate those movements which aggravate the tendon. I guess I have no choice but to stay off the bike for at least a couple of weeks.

Dammit!

Anyone have any home remedies or cures that they've found to successfully treat tendinitis?

Steve

Old 11-10-2013, 09:36 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Ouch!

I see one of these in your future.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:38 AM
tinmarine
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried wearing the cuff used for tennis elbow? They work. I use to get it every spring and it would last until winter. It sucks. They pumped me full of 800mg ibuprofens which after a long time wrecked my stomach. I found Aleve works best and as goofy as they look, where the cuff. Get a nice adjustable one. They help compress the tendon so it doesn't get inflamed.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:45 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,616 Likes on 2,727 Posts

My experience has been the same, don't irritate it, wait, and wait, and wait....

At least you got past the best months; I strained a shoulder tendon near the end of August, just did my first ride for over an hour last week, a cool one, too. Tomorrow's forecast - high of 26, and I don't want to ride that bad. I still felt the shoulder, but it was tolerable, soft tissue injuries often take longer to heal than broken bones. And I've learned the older you get, the longer it takes to get over it. Seems like a couple or three months of down time every couple years is getting to be normal for me.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:47 AM
prosport76
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My doc prescribed Mobic for mine. Works great.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:58 AM
tinmarine
Road Master

I want to say one doctor gave me Celebrex for it. WORKED GREAT!!!! However............................ After a short stint of using it I got sick. I started looking up some of the side effects and they were less than glowing. To include ruptured tendons. I had a lot of intestinal problems that lasted a long time but boy howdy did it ever work. I can't take many medicines as I seem to have reactions to many including Lipitor and Keflex, but if you can stomach the Celebrex, it will knock it out.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:03 AM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

I have had epicondylitis on both radial and median tendons in both elbows. All 4 were released. Never be young again but I can sleep now.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Jason Oates
Tourer

My Dad had this a while ago. He tried the several shots that were suggested, but it was only a temporary fix. Eventually he had a the quick surgery, was down for a few days with his thumb, but now years later he's back to normal and couldn't be happier. It wasn't painful, other than than 2-3 days of "thumb downtime" but it's obviously worth it! Good luck!

Old 11-10-2013, 10:23 AM
stellarpod
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys. Trying to stay away from any steroidal treatments if possible. The minor surgery may ultimately be the way to go. I'm going to isolate for a couple of weeks and see if that will suffice.

Tinmarine: I've got a brace that my doctor supplied that is actually worn on the wrist with a thumbhole. It has a hard metal insert which keeps me from being able to flex my wrist down (doing so aggravates the situation). I need to start wearing it again I suppose.

Steve

Old 11-10-2013, 10:57 AM
tinmarine
Road Master

Originally Posted by stellarpod
Thanks for all the input guys. Trying to stay away from any steroidal treatments if possible. The minor surgery may ultimately be the way to go. I'm going to isolate for a couple of weeks and see if that will suffice.

Tinmarine: I've got a brace that my doctor supplied that is actually worn on the wrist with a thumbhole. It has a hard metal insert which keeps me from being able to flex my wrist down (doing so aggravates the situation). I need to start wearing it again I suppose.

Steve
Wrist?????? If the tendon in your elbow (tennis elbow) is inflamed the brace you have won't do much. The one that does is just a cuff you wear just below the elbow. Does wonders.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00068

https://www.google.com/search?q=tenn...w=1280&bih=589

Quick Reply: Dang tendinitis!