General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stealing Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 06:46 AM
Pdfisherman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stealing Helmets

I was just wondering if people really do steal helmets? I just bought a new one so it had me thinking. I have a half helmet. Do they steal those too, or just the expensive full face ones? I mean when I go into a store I just hang the helmet over the handlebars. Is someone really gonna steal a used helmet? If they have a motorcycle chances are they already have a helmet. Why steal mine?

I seriously asking a question, not just going on a rant!

Old 02-06-2014, 06:50 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,920 Likes on 8,432 Posts

Originally Posted by Pdfisherman
I was just wondering if people really do steal helmets? I just bought a new one so it had me thinking. I have a half helmet. Do they steal those too, or just the expensive full face ones? I mean when I go into a store I just hang the helmet over the handlebars. Is someone really gonna steal a used helmet? If they have a motorcycle chances are they already have a helmet. Why steal mine?

I seriously asking a question, not just going on a rant!
If they have a motorcycle and they lost their helmet and need to get home without getting a ticket, yeah, the propensity of loosing your helmet goes up. Never leave anything unsecured in public unless you can afford to have it taken. That's how our society is now.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:02 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

"They" still anything. I'm a pretty paranoid sort so my helmet always gets secured or taken inside. Sure, it only stops the ****** and grab thieves but that takes care of 99% of them. I'd think twice before leaving an expensive helmet unattended even with a lock.

Good rule of thumb is that if you can't afford to lose it, take it inside.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:13 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Even worse than that; in the UK there has apparently been an increase in people stealing the visors off helmets when they are locked up. Mine's a Schuberth S2 and the visors aren't cheap, so until I get something like a PacSafe helmet bag to secure it to the bike, the helmet's coming with me.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:17 AM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

I hang mine off the rear passenger peg on the low side of the bike. Florida doesn't have a helmet law so if someone steals it I can still get home without issue. It's too much of a pain in the *** to carry and if someone feels the need to steal my stinky lid they must need it bad. That being said by keeping it on the low side it is not as visible as it would be on the bars and I still have my helmet and have been doing it this way for over a year and a half. (Last scoot had an integrated helmet lock).

Old 02-06-2014, 07:18 AM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Had a kid try to steal my HJC helmet.
I was in the store but a lady outside saw him and yelled. He dropped the helmet and ran.
Just to cheap to buy his own helmet. (Punk) It wasn't as if he needed it to get home because Iowa isn't a helmet required state.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:25 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,879 Likes on 1,492 Posts

I have a gnarly, scratched, banged up, piece of junk helmet,, but it satisfies the nanny state.

The only people I think about are scooter riders. A lot of them are complete dirtbags that are already riding on something they stole.

But I have never had an issue.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:27 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Any thing for a buck, steal a helmet sell it on eBAY.
For that matter steal anything sell it on eBAY or
craigslist

Old 02-06-2014, 08:02 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine gets secured to the bike with a decent quality cable bicycle lock. Prevents 99% of 'em.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:47 AM
Jack Sullivan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 132 Posts

I just drop mine on the ground low side. It's all banged up and they can have it if they want it. I've been doing this for many years and it has always been there when I get back to the bike. Now if people would stop stealing **** out of my boat!

Quick Reply: Stealing Helmets