General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well folks, it finally happened…out of action for six weeks

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 08:58 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Well folks, it finally happened…out of action for six weeks

First accident after two decades of riding.

Guy made a left in front of me in his car as the light turned yellow. He "didn't see me" of course. He felt terrible. No drinking or texting involved. Just an older guy driving the car who made a mistake.

I'm four weeks on crutches and in a restrictive boot with two broken bones in my foot. Two weeks more with just the boot. Then PT. I may not be able to jog again for like four months.

Xrays show this. CT results are pending. But doc is confident they will be negative for any nerve or tendon damage.

The Slim is fine. Cosmetic damage on the left side of the bike, forks, horn cover, primary, and dents in the oil tank. It's already in the shop getting fixed. It didn't even go down. Ended up leaning against his front bumper. Problem was my foot was between.

Wear them good boots with steel toes, Boys and Girls. Had I not had steel toes on my boots, I may have lost a toe. Had I been wearing even better boots without canvass on top, I may not have broken any bones in my foot.

Everything is covered as far as repairs and medical bills. Could have been a lot worse. Still no fun. Freaked out my fiancee. Freaked me out some too.

I'll probably ride less after this, frankly. I was riding everyday for everything, even though I own a cage. I just had my Slim exactly where I wanted it. And just had my old body getting in shape.

But hey, both me and the Slim will be good as new. So I am blessed.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 02-21-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:02 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Wow! That really sucks Brother! But like you said, it could have been worse. Be sure and get a lawyer. Take it easy and Good Luck!

Old 02-21-2014, 09:05 PM
SteveMKentucky
Tourer

Received 63 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry to hear. The cage turning left in front of you is one of the most common threats. I lost a friend some years ago to a similar scenario. He was doing about 30 mph but wasn't wearing a helmet. It was strapped to his seat. Bumped his head on the car's fender. Brain swelled and declared dead at the hospital.

Count your blessings, heal up and ride again; with a helmet.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:06 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,924 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Glad your OK
Note to self: NO RIDING WITH JUNGLE BOOTS.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:08 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

I had my helmet on, of course. And leather jacket. Didn't happen to have any head contact, or gouges in the jacket. But I did end up laying on the guy's hood. So it was good all the basic gear was on.

And thank you for the well-wishes. Nice to have a community of riders here. Counting my blessings and feel for anyone who has made out worse. Many have, sadly.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:10 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Glad you're ok. I've been meaning to invest in a good pair of real riding/racing boots. I haven't in a few years and I'm thinking it will be a good time to here real soon.

Don't let this discourage you from riding everyday man. Were you turning right on red as he was turning left? I usually don't do the right on red on a scooter... I wait until the light is green.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:13 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

No. I was just going straight exercising my right of way as the yellow turned.

He was concentrating on a car making a right at the intersection, he said, and that's part of the reason he didn't see me.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:16 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
No. I was just going straight exercising my right of way as the yellow turned.

He was concentrating on a car making a right at the intersection, he said, and that's part of the reason he didn't see me.
Ah... well that sucks then. Sorry man... get well soon and get back on two wheels... there is no better therapy.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:17 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
Time for some LED headlight and run/turn signals! Unless you already have them, it's time for "pops" to get his eyes checked.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:19 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Hate it happened to you but so glad it wasn't worse. Have patience and do that PT if you have to!

Quick Reply: Well folks, it finally happened…out of action for six weeks