General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"All Good Things....

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 07:43 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "All Good Things....

...must come to an end", as my Dad used to say.

Purchased my first-ever road bike in November of '07, an '02 Harley Deuce.

Previous to that, I had been strictly a dirt rider. Enjoyed the Deuce a lot. Made solo trips to Tuscon, Sturgis... and many other solo jaunts. Wife couldn't handle the poor seating and ride of the Deuce no matter what seat I purchased and tried. She was good for about 200 miles, max. I wanted her to be able to go with me, so we traded in the Deuce and purchased an '09 Ultra.

We toured Colorado aboard the Ultra and had a great time. We also used it for some weekend trips. But little by little, the dirt bikes kept getting the seat time from both of us. We've been to Colorado and ridden our dual sports for two years in a row, and a third year is in the making. Essentially all of our riding plans/excursions center around the dirt bikes. Aside from regular start-ups and short rides to keep things lubed and used, the Ultra continues to sit in the garage and gather dust.

Bottom line: I'm a dirt rider at heart. Always have been and reckon' I always will be. I have enjoyed the road/Harley experiment and I super enjoyed these forums for a while.. but my real love is riding dirt. It's just the way it is.

So... the time has come to sell the Ultra. I'm turning to you guys/gals to get a ballpark idea of a fair price for it. Note I said a "fair" price. I have no illusion to think that it's worth what I paid for it... or any other such fantasy. I want to put a price on it that is a pretty good deal for the purchaser, and that I can feel okay about.

Here's what we have:

2009 Ultra Classic in Vivid Black. A tick over 10,000 miles on the clock. All stock (except for hiway pegs.) All features/functions work as designed. No scratches/dents/etc. Fresh rear tire. Dealer serviced. I live in eastern OK.

Any input as to what price range am I talking about here?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:05 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Go with what you know bro. When I sold my 09 RKC blue book had if between 13 and 16 grand but that was almost 3 years ago.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:57 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,191 Likes on 2,457 Posts

trade in is $12,125 with suggested retail at $16,190. as per kbb.com/motorcycle

that $16k figure is what you would expect to pay if buying it from a dealer. so figure a little less than that. you're getting ready to go into riding season, your bike is in very good shape, low mileage, etc. so you have that going for you.

good luck.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:07 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Is it paid for? If so, you really should keep it. Wouldn't hurt a thing to sit in the garage a while. There will come a time (and age) where your body isn't gonna appreciate riding the dirt all the time. Not to mention reflexes will slow down as you get older too. If you kept it, you would be all set for riding into the sunset of your life in style. And you'll appreciate it more, or should I say, your body will, later in life.

If you have to sell, I think I'd start around 16k. You can always go down some. But I certainly wouldn't take less than 14k for it.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:25 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All:

Thanks much for the input. I Googled and found NADA and Kelly bike prices. Seeing as it has the ABS feature, one put it at about $16,750 or so, the other $17,100 or so.

I think $16,000 would be a good "start here" price.

Yes, it's been paid for since early on.

Keeping it has been considered, but I'm also concerned about being able to hold the thing up after I'm into my late 60s early 70s... especially with Honey Buns aboard! (Though she's only about 135 lbs or so.)

Dirt bikes are much lighter... and you don't have to ride the rough stuff to enjoy them. Forest roads, log roads, et al... is good too. No better way to experience Colorado than aboard a dual sport bike going over jeep trail passes/etc. We're also talking trailering our dual sports to New England and riding their forest roads/etc during autumn "one of these days". (Maybe 2016?)

Thanks again. Feel free to keep the input coming.

ALSO...

You have all been a great group of road crazies to hang out with. I'm very glad I got acquainted with the cruiser/touring "culture" and learned that there are some super helpful guys doing it that truly love riding motorcycles.

Many moons ago I used to think "if it ain't dirt, it ain't poop". I've now learned that two wheels is two wheels... and there's much to be enjoyed regardless of the approach one takes to their motorcycling. Road riding has its own unique sets of experiences to offer that dirt cannot, and vice versa. It's all good!

Old 02-24-2014, 09:43 PM
Recycled
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I made a best guess of $14000. tops as well considering the low mileage, stock dealer maintained condition. You did say "a good deal". Good luck with the sale!

I understand completely, having more miles logged in the dirt than on paved roads myself. In the mid 60's when I started riding, it was just natural to travel the dirt, gravel back roads, even on my first rigid harley. Nothing like drifting a hardtail through the turns on gravel or dirt. It does stay in your blood forever!

Last edited by Recycled; 02-24-2014 at 09:46 PM.