General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traveling through Canada

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 01:47 PM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Traveling through Canada

I have some questions about traveling through Canada. When traveling in Canada, do they have pay at the pump gas stations, and if so, do they accept visa and master cards ? We'll probably enter up by Thunder bay and travel east along the southern most part of Ontario and enter back into the US in northern New York somewhere. Are there any must see places or roads to ride along this route.
Thanks in advance Jonnierock

Old 02-26-2014, 01:55 PM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

All the gas stations we stopped took a credit card at the pump

Old 02-26-2014, 02:14 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

No, please bring cash!

Just kiddn' almost every gas station accepts credit card or prepay, it's always good to carry a jerry can Have fun and ride safe!

Old 02-26-2014, 02:15 PM
sonoffatboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JONNIEROCK
I have some questions about traveling through Canada. When traveling in Canada, do they have pay at the pump gas stations, and if so, do they accept visa and master cards ? We'll probably enter up by Thunder bay and travel east along the southern most part of Ontario and enter back into the US in northern New York somewhere. Are there any must see places or roads to ride along this route.
Thanks in advance Jonnierock
no problem with visa ect...probably take your debit cards as well ..and 99% of the time you can pump first ..and go to the kiosk for the guy to run your card...you don't have to prepay like you need to do in the states....

...things to see?...well coming over lake superior there is some awesome sights.......ride thru algonquin park .....avoid toronto.....there are several ways around it the hwy thru toronto is the 2nd busiest road in N/A...(next to the LA freeway)...
cross back into the states (ny) at 1000 islands...

Old 02-26-2014, 02:17 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

The pump takes CC's and you can just pump and go in to pay cash. They are much more trusting in Canada. I was at a very busy station off the four lane in Saskatoon last summer and just pumped. How they could tell if someone didn't pay I'll never know. There was parity last year between CD and USD some would take USD and some would want 5 to 10% fee and some would not take USD.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:12 PM
texn71
Stage III

When I was there we had to go inside to pay with cards. They told us the pumps wouldn't accept U.S. cards.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:52 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,312 Likes on 2,358 Posts

I thought I paid a surcharge for using a US bank card. I do remember paying a quarter for a packet of mayo at a MacDonalds, last I heard that's free in the states.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:52 PM
speeddaddy
Tourer
Received 495 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
The pump takes CC's and you can just pump and go in to pay cash. They are much more trusting in Canada. I was at a very busy station off the four lane in Saskatoon last summer and just pumped. How they could tell if someone didn't pay I'll never know. There was parity last year between CD and USD some would take USD and some would want 5 to 10% fee and some would not take USD.
Grasswood Esso or the Shell?

Old 02-26-2014, 08:02 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

All stations will accept CC and debit, more and more are going with pay at the pump, as always have some Canadian cash on hand and don't expect to be able to use US cash.

If you're coming up through Thunder Bay you need to stop in at Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park..30 min ride from downtown TB...nice place for a picnic lunch.

http://www.thunderbay.ca/Visiting/At...beka_falls.htm

Old 02-26-2014, 08:21 PM
teflon
Road Captain

yea gas is no problem, kekabekka falls, Niagara falls down by buffalo is a must as well. lotsa cool scenery along the way up north. in Thunder bay theres the sleeping indian mountain as well. the locks in Sault ste marie are cool to see a massive freighter change elevation in the lakes. Dont forget your passport tho.

Quick Reply: Traveling through Canada