General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Renting a bike in Florida

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 08:01 PM
glide5904
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Renting a bike in Florida

The wife and I are thinking about taking a vacation to Florida. We would like to rent a bike and maybe ride down to the Keys for a night from Ft Lauderdale. I found a dealer in Ft Lauderdale that rents Harley's. I think they get around $150 a day for Road King.
Has anybody done this? Is there anything I should know? Hidden costs? Crazy bad traffic? Can anyone suggest a route?
I welcome any input.
Some of my riding buddies have gone to the Marko Island area and liked it, but Lauderdale is a little cheaper and a little closer to the keys. I've never been to that area and I'm flexible (haven't bought tickets yet), so I'm open to suggestions.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:52 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Chesters in Ft Lauderdale were renting for $99 a day.
Take the Turnpike to the Keys, it's easy and straight. Try not to travel out or into Ft Laud or Miami in rush hour, the drivers are nuts.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:58 PM
ultra_classic
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by glide5904
The wife and I are thinking about taking a vacation to Florida. We would like to rent a bike and maybe ride down to the Keys for a night from Ft Lauderdale. I found a dealer in Ft Lauderdale that rents Harley's. I think they get around $150 a day for Road King.
Has anybody done this? Is there anything I should know? Hidden costs? Crazy bad traffic? Can anyone suggest a route?
I welcome any input.
Some of my riding buddies have gone to the Marko Island area and liked it, but Lauderdale is a little cheaper and a little closer to the keys. I've never been to that area and I'm flexible (haven't bought tickets yet), so I'm open to suggestions.
I have done it twice, first time rented from Miami HD, the ride from Ft Lauderdale to the Key West is about 5-6 hours with stops, so i would suggest recharging in the Keys for 2 Nights, the second time [last april] my wife and I rode our own bikes we trailered to Savanna GA, and rode 1800kms around southern FLA.
the ride back is a little tough as you end up in Miami traffic at 5pm, good luck

Old 03-02-2014, 09:22 PM
glide5904
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
Chesters in Ft Lauderdale were renting for $99 a day.
Take the Turnpike to the Keys, it's easy and straight. Try not to travel out or into Ft Laud or Miami in rush hour, the drivers are nuts.
Thanks. I'll call Chesters.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:54 PM
doer
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,471 Likes on 2,370 Posts

Be sure to make a reservation ahead of time if you stay overnight in Key West...at this time of year almost everything is booked. I learned (and lucked out) the hard way. What an awesome ride for those of us that live up North.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:48 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 205 Likes on 103 Posts

One thing to be aware of, I was told a $2000 deposit would be 'held' on my CC!
I wasn't happy about this, as although I knew they hadnt taken it, those funds was still unavailable until after I returned the bike and they cleared the 'hold'.

If you got enough spare time on your way back take a ride across on US-19 Tamiami Trail, maybe see a few gators !

Old 03-03-2014, 06:54 AM
Sauceman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ex and I rented Harleys in Sarasota a few years back. I got the Vrod and she got a Heritage. Very enjoyable experience without any hidden issues, would do it again no problem.

cheers

Old 03-03-2014, 08:30 AM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,314 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Eaglerider is right in Ft Lauderdale about a mile from the airport.....Chesters is called Ft Lauderdale HD but is really out in Sunrise, about 15 miles from the airport.....

the fastest way to the Keys is 595 to the Fl turnpike south.....take the homestead ext to Homestead..... that puts you on US 1 south right into KW....

if ya wanna go back roads, just west of Chesters is hwy 27.....take that south to 997 (Krome ave).....Krome will dump you out on hwy 1 headed into Key Largo.....this way can be slow depending on time of day (traffic)........

Key West is 200 miles from Ft Lauderdale......it takes us between 4 and 5 hours depending on stops and traffic........weekdays are better than weekends, mornings are better than late afternoons......

Old 03-03-2014, 08:51 AM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do it, it is easily one of the best rides you can take - but make sure you do it during daylight otherwise you will miss most of what the keys has to offer

as others said, fly in, taxi it to Chesters, then go west on 595/75 right in front of Chesters, get out to Hwy 27 then head south on 27 until you get to Chrome

skip the turnpike and highways, enjoy florida for what it is

once you get to Homestead you pick up US1 and that is the overseas highway all the way to Key West

plan on more than 1 day as others stated - 1 day to get there with stops, sleep, enjoy a day in Key West, sleep - then ride back on day 3

Old 03-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Aegir
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others have stated take the Turnpike (toll road) its cheap though. Chesters is close I75 which you can take to the Turnpike. Stay away from I95, especially around rush hour. Cafe 27 is a good stop on route 27. Also the ride on 41 (Tamiami Trail is a good ride, will bring you over to Marco Island or Naples. Also Eagle Rider would be a much cheaper cab ride for you than heading all the way out to Chesters. http://www.eaglerider.com

Quick Reply: Renting a bike in Florida