General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet Another Bad Experience with a Made in America producer (Supertrapp)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 07:41 AM
Fozzy4325
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yet Another Bad Experience with a Made in America producer (Supertrapp)

Product, Suprtrapp 2:1 KERKER SYST, HD FLH/FLT '09, BLK

Issue: O2 Sensor port slightly off alignment causing the sensor cable to rub against the cooling fins.

Situation.
At the end of last year and start of this year I have been buying parts for my bike build.
I received the part in Jan but it was never fitted until a few days ago at the bike builders. The Bike builder contacted me to tell me the rear O2 Sensor would not fit correctly as the O2 sensor was out of alignment. So I went down to have a look. They showed me that when the sensor was fitted the sensor was touching the rear cooling fins. Slightly but enough that over time it would wear down and eat through the cable sheath and also cause wear damage to the cooling fins.

The bike builder has a solution of cutting the plug off and moving it.

On the investigation we determined that the whole was out by about 2 - 5mm then looking at the front it was the same as it was just off of the front frame. So it looks like the Jig was just out when they were making it.

I sent an email with pictures and they replied they needed more pictures. I replied back with more pictures and a note from the bike builders and they replied
"Honestly, yes-that sensor looks long. But I’m comparing it to the one on our dyna and that’s an 06 (all other bikes we have are newer 12 mm).
Either way, look at the first picture, yes the sensor wire is close to the cylinder, but it’s not touching it. It is also not threaded in all the way!? Screw it in, and there is plenty of room. The wires have an insulated housing on them, it’s fine."

1. the sensor was not screwed in fully as the cable was rubbing on the cylinder the cable where it joins the sensor was touching cylinder. The pipes were not fully bolted on as we needed play to fit the sensor and show it in the picture.
2. Yes the wires have an insulated housing (Tek) but still it will cut through the plastic housing removing the water proofing.

I have asked for an RMA but I was told no as there was no problem.

Solution:
The bike builder is going to remove the plug and weld another plug front and back into place costing me 1.5hrs more to the bill.

Conclusion..
I am getting disheartened by the reactions and customer care from American related companies. I understand that problems arise but I never had these customer care issues with non american manufacturers.

Other Issues I have are with my new Jeep Wrangler I purchased. I'm trying to return it as its just poorly manufactured. But I know that's not going to happen so I'm trying to sell it and cut my losses and run.

After moving back from Europe I really want to buy North American as they are so expensive outside the US. I'm doing this to try and bolster the economy but I'm finding it hard to keep faith when I'm losing so much money and quality..

Old 03-06-2014, 08:51 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,480 Likes on 2,478 Posts

Seems like the entire country has the "don't givadam" or "whatever" attitude.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:47 AM
Fozzy4325
Road Master

Well good news... Ish.. Since posting on the forums I think some one contacted them and they have sent an email to me offering me an RMA.. Hahaha Now I have to work out what the costs are for shipping to the USA from Canada via UPS as I only have 3 - 5 weeks before the bike has to be on the road.. (club Rules)

Old 03-06-2014, 11:07 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dependign on your shops hourly rate it'll likely cost you abotu the same to ship as the shops tiem to re-weld the bung. if you got your stock pipes still or have someone to borrow a set off of throw them on whiel this is gettig fixed if you go the route of the RMA.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:18 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,207 Likes on 3,173 Posts

Originally Posted by Fozzy4325
I only have 3 - 5 weeks before the bike has to be on the road.. (club Rules)
Join a European club then.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:46 PM
Fozzy4325
Road Master

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
dependign on your shops hourly rate it'll likely cost you abotu the same to ship as the shops tiem to re-weld the bung. if you got your stock pipes still or have someone to borrow a set off of throw them on whiel this is gettig fixed if you go the route of the RMA.
Yea I just priced it up and its only $120 for rehousing it and the RMA is $240... for shipping..

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
Join a European club then.
???? what type of answer is that??? I think your padding your post stats.

I came from a European Chapter to the North American Chapter.. I'm in an International club so it doesn't matter where I live its all the same.

Last edited by Fozzy4325; 03-06-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:51 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member

could you not carefully clearence soem of your fins where it "might" rub wit ha die grinder and a carbide bit after you mark ti with a sharpie it might take all of 5-10 minutes to do and if you got a dremel you could do it yourself

Old 03-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Fozzy4325
Road Master

I'm going for the re bunging

Old 03-06-2014, 04:38 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member

Originally Posted by Fozzy4325
I'm going for the re bunging
cool it'll look cleaner

Old 03-06-2014, 06:34 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

I'd move the bung and call it a day. I remember when Supertrapp and thunderheader were good. Those days are long gone. Seems everyone else passed them by in quality, and many passed them by on performance.

Quick Reply: Yet Another Bad Experience with a Made in America producer (Supertrapp)