General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather at Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:53 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Cold weather at Sturgis

So I'm going to Sturgis For the first time this year. I live in the Houston area and in August it is hot. Will I need to take cold weather gear/leather to South Dakota? I've never been there and have no idea what it's like in August. I have a Dekker ii and it's as big as they come, but I'll be two up for two weeks so space is at a premium and I'd rather not pack it if I don't need to.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:01 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Bring rain gear and yes the mornings can be chilly. I used to live in the Hills. Mornings can be in the 60's, but it heats up well later in the day. Most of what you will need you can just buy there. As for the rain gear, you will need it for rain (every year), and it can seal out the drafts and warm you up too.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:08 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member

I am taking rain gear, I just didn't know how cold it typically is. 60's in the morning is doable though.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:18 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,516 Likes on 805 Posts

I don't know where you're staying. I'm usually up above Lead close to 6,000 feet above sea level, and it's pretty cool up there in the mornings, or even during the day if it's a rainy day. The lowlands around Sturgis are at 3,400 feet so it's a bit warmer down there.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:57 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I don't go ANYWHERE without my leather and rain gear!

While Sturgis can be very hot during the rally week, after sundown the temps drop drastically and some warmer clothing is a good idea.

I've been there several times and some hard storms with high winds (and some hail) are a possibility.

If you're planning on camping, I'd suggest that you take a good plastic ground sheet to place under your tent as well as some good tent stakes.
During one of the storms that we had, we got some water in our tent but one towel completely mopped the water up.

Look at it this way, if you take extra stuff, you'll probably never need it!

Old 03-09-2014, 12:24 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

If storage is a problem while traveling I would make sure leathers/rain gear are packed first. You can buy other clothes at every corner and most likely you will be taking some home with you. You can just buy shirts and hoodies as needed. Do you know where you will be staying? The place that I stay at will ship/receive UPS for you.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:39 PM
ConfuciusSay
Road Warrior
Received 2,529 Likes on 684 Posts

All of the above and if you are camping, make sure you have a good sleeping bag. My first night there I froze. Had to put pants, socks, and a long sleeve shirt on in the sleeping bag just to stay warm. I was there in 2010 and there were a few mornings that started in the low-mid 50's. I was glad I had my jacket and liner. Definitely bring good tent stakes. My tent was pulled up from the ground, but saved by my camp neighbor (thanks Mitch). Next time I go, I will be prepared with long metal tent stakes instead of the shorter yellow plastic ones.

Have a great time!

BTW, my signature picture is outside of Sturgis headed to Mt Rushmore.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:39 PM
ChopperBill
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,976 Likes on 1,206 Posts

It's either hotter than hell or it's raining or hailing. Bring every thing ya got.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:53 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member

I'm staying at a college dorm in Spearfish, so no camping gear. I'll just figure to bring leathers then. Thanks for the input.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:05 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

That's the place I stay. Works out great.

Quick Reply: Cold weather at Sturgis