General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 - New England to Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 08:51 AM
SVTlightning
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 - New England to Sturgis

This is basically a copy-paste of a thread I reponded to with questions; figured I'd start a thread to see what people do when they can't (read: want to but CANNOT) ride into the rally.

This may be a commonly known thing to some, but to me it was new. When I was down the gulf coast, I had a client that did this "VIP package" thing with his brothers every year. Long story short, they went to his local H-D in Mississippi, collected the bikes, shipped them to H-D in XXX, cleaned/waxed/gassed/checked them, and dropped them under the awning of a Marriott to have them waiting there after breakfast. All they had to do was fly in with whatever gear they needed. No mention of package price, but this sounds amazing for those in a time crunch. If it was this easy, I could possibly convince the soon-to-be bride to come along for a pre-honeymoon adventure.

I've been rolling the option over in my head for Sturgis this year after I found out Zac Brown Band is kicking it off at buffalo. Figured this might be the year to try to make it (for my first time), before I can't for a while.... I've done a bunch of smaller rallies from TX to FL, Daytona, and Laconia; but Sturgis is the "must go". Can't say it was ever on the top of my list, but it's something I think "needs to be experienced" before I have kids...

Before people jump on me about shipping my bike...... I've got a regular 40, I own a company on "the side", she just got a big "bump" position-wise......and we have a wedding a month before....and how about a honeymoon at the end of the year! Time is of the essence here, it's a busy year. All that AND it's a 2000 mile ride THERE and BACK from where we are. I'd love to do it, and would in a heartbeat, but you have to pay to play, and work to pay..... Not bitching about it, knowing your limitations is a good thing, but I'd still love to get there, experience it, and see ZBB at Sturgis (sure to be wild) in the process.

Not interested in hearing about how great an experience the ride was, how I'll regret it, or anything similar; you're all right, but I don't have the option this year. I'm also not interested in having someone ride it out there either; I don't pay people to play with my toys.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:17 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am a big "ride it" guy but having read your post I say go for it and screw everyone else. Go enjoy the trip, ride Spearfish Canyon, see Zac Brown, do the Chip, party like a rock star, go home and relish the memories...

Old 03-20-2014, 10:28 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Go for it!!

Old 03-20-2014, 10:30 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

I think if that's what you need to do to experience Sturgis, go for it.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:31 AM
Fairshake
Cruiser

I had a friend who had retired from Delta Airlines as a pilot back in 1988. He had some health problems and could not ride out to the 50 th Sturgis in 1990 with a pack from Baton Rouge, La. We had around 7 bikes that made the trip with myself and one other friend riding Shovels. My retired friend had his Ultra flown out and he also flew. He picked up the bike in Rapid City and rode the area for the entire event. He made the 50th before his ticket was punched. I'm a ride it there guy and have never had any bike on a trailer for travel. I do however admire someone who does what they can to be there.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:36 AM
Mcdave
Tourer

That sounds like an amazing option if you can swing it financially/time. I live only 200mi from Sturgis and haven't missed a rally in 12 years. The entertainment this year will be great and you will love the Black Hills.
Sounds like you have a great life ahead of you. Congratulations!
I will be there from July 31- Aug 9 and would be honored to buy you a drink at One Eyed Jack's while you are there. PM me if I can help w/ anything.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:33 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If that is the only practical way to make it to Sturgis, then go for it! You will still have your bike there.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:37 PM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

You do whatever it takes to enjoy the rally. The rest of 'em can go pack rock salt. Live your life the way you want to live it..

Old 03-20-2014, 03:19 PM
kcdowning
Advanced
Default A different perspective

I understand all those that say you have to ride. I used to feel the same way. Then I took a weekend trip to WV with some friends. They were trailering down since they had the truck and trailer and could do it in one day driving.

Two friends rode after giving us crap for a couple of weeks. Well we left about the same time and we beat them there. They had gas breaks and rest breaks we didn't need.

They showed up and all they wanted to do after all that time in the saddle on the interstate was get off, eat and have some beverages. We showed up ready to ride. I know I put in 3 times as many miles as they did with some great riding. They were,dreading the ride back the day before we headed home.

I say get their anyway you can. The riding in the Black Hills is great. Slabbing out on the interstate is more a test of perseverance than a comment on you as a rider.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:14 PM
KUB
Extreme HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts

If that's what it takes to get there go for it ! You can go again if wish all 4000 mile on 2 wheels when your schedule allows it.

Quick Reply: 2014 - New England to Sturgis