General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling Bike Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 03:52 PM
coop2564
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Selling Bike Question

If someone has a motorcycle license...would you let them test drive your bike if selling?

Old 03-21-2014, 03:58 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Up and down the street and that's it.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:03 PM
08Nighttrain
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only if they hand you the cash that you are asking for as insurance. If they wreck it they bought it. If they dont like it and did no damage then they can have cash back. No cash no ride. I dont let tire kickers go for joy rides if you are serious about the bike then show it with the cash for the ride otherwise you are just wasting time.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts

I would ONLY after they pay ... and then I would refund them if they didn't like it or want it ... provided they didn't damage it (don't fill out the title till the very end but have a bill of sale filled out for the test drive ...)

you drop it you own it !!!

no tire kickers when 20 G's or more involved (unless your desperate)

Dealers can deal with newbies that aren't sure yet ...

a car is a different story ...

ps - if you let some drive your bike & they have NO license and something happens ... you have NO insurance

edit - 08 nighttrain and I think alike (very much alike)

Last edited by Cosmic Charlie; 03-21-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:01 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,494 Likes on 2,483 Posts

Not even if it were the Pope or Mother Theresa.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:03 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes I get to keep their ENDORSED licence and the cash. They can go wherever they want

Old 03-21-2014, 06:14 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,654 Likes on 796 Posts
Default Cash Talks Bullspit Walks.

Before deciding on my FXDC I was hot for a Softail Slim. I found a privately owned low mileage beauty near my house and told the seller I needed to ride it as I never rode a Slim before. He was a 21 year old man and told this 60 year old "You ain't gonna go without the dough!" The following day I brought a cashier's check for the purchase price made out to him. I took the bike for a half hour test ride. The bike was nice but not my style. He gave me back my check and we said adios. That's the ONLY way I would let anyone take my bike anywhere.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:31 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,689 Likes on 11,285 Posts

Originally Posted by Antonio *****
Before deciding on my FXDC I was hot for a Softail Slim. I found a privately owned low mileage beauty near my house and told the seller I needed to ride it as I never rode a Slim before. He was a 21 year old man and told this 60 year old "You ain't gonna go without the dough!" The following day I brought a cashier's check for the purchase price made out to him. I took the bike for a half hour test ride. The bike was nice but not my style. He gave me back my check and we said adios. That's the ONLY way I would let anyone take my bike anywhere.
Lots of fake and counterfeit cashiers checks out there, I wouldn't accept a check for a test ride.
OP, be careful where you meet prospective buyers. Bring a friend and heat if you meet in a parking lot somewhere. Many people selling vehicles have lost them at gunpoint.

Last edited by upflying; 03-21-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:42 PM
acman308
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 08Nighttrain
Only if they hand you the cash that you are asking for as insurance. If they wreck it they bought it. If they dont like it and did no damage then they can have cash back. No cash no ride. I dont let tire kickers go for joy rides if you are serious about the bike then show it with the cash for the ride otherwise you are just wasting time.

I make it plain before they show up no cash no ride for the most part that eliminates the tire kickers.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:59 PM
bikergal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No no no. Do not let someone take your bike for a ride period. Even if you get the cash first I still wouldn't do it. my .02 worth.

I see this question asked over and over on this forum. I haven't been around long either. A search will show you several threads with the exact same title.

Quick Reply: Selling Bike Question