General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Grips: Who knew?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Rockrivr1
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Heated Grips: Who knew?????

They would keep my hands this warm??? Not me!!! If I did, I would have installed these things years ago. Damn they feel good when riding in the cold. The grips on the new 2014s get so hot on setting 6 they actually made my hands feel like they were burning up. Set at 3 my hands were toasty all ride long. Never going to have a bike without them again.

I guess I never knew what I was missing!

Old 04-07-2014, 02:25 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,207 Likes on 3,173 Posts

Ever tried heated gloves ?

Old 04-07-2014, 02:28 PM
Randk
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grips or gloves ? Im on the fence on this one

Old 04-07-2014, 02:30 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,935 Likes on 8,435 Posts

I finally gave in and installed a set of heat demons on my RG. They're great for temps in the 40s and up but heated gloves are better in the 30s and lower.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:43 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Grips or gloves? I've been using heated grips since 2001 and would not be without them. As to the grip or glove question, I look at it this way. I never, ever leave home without my electric vest. Even in July. It gets cold on top of the Blue Ridge in the summer, in the rain. I'm glad to have my vest and the grips.

Do you glove guys always pack your E-gloves even in the summer? Grips, it's one less thing to pack or forget.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:26 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

If I had to pick, I'd go with the gloves, since the tops of my fingers is what suffers, not my palms. And I'd get some if I ride in the cold a lot, which I don't.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:38 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I have one bike with heated grips and three others set up to connect Gerbing's to.

Far prefer heated grips. When I was in the Canadian Rocky's it was in the 30's and raining. I only had mechanics gloves on. Even on low I had to shut the grips off periodically. Those that say they only heat the palm of your had must not understand blood flow and have never used heated grips. They did an outstanding job. They are on a 08 Ulysses XT and were standard equipment. Use them every winter and they have never failed in 6 seasons of use.

The gloves did not do that good of a job when it was in the teens to low twenty's. Just adequate. On the second season with them and occasionally a fuse blows. After the first time I learned to carry a spare and to locate the fuse so that the seat did not need removal. Not that easy as the set up included with the Gerbing's fuse is very close to the battery hook up.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:59 PM
Car Doc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup grips and jacket liners and gloves its hard to beat being warm when everyone else is putting their hands down on their engines and freezing their butts off riding when its chilly out but the roads are perfect.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:59 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockrivr1
They would keep my hands this warm??? Not me!!! If I did, I would have installed these things years ago. Damn they feel good when riding in the cold..... Never going to have a bike without them again.

I agree. Heated grips are wonderful to have and anytime you want warmed they're always there at the click of a switch.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:30 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Had heated gloves on old bike. Like the heated grips on new bike much better. I can ride with thin gloves most of the time. Plus no wires, plugs etc.

Quick Reply: Heated Grips: Who knew?????