General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5'x8' utility trailer

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 06:34 PM
random2934
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5'x8' utility trailer

So I'm getting out of the military and moving back to Florida from Maryland and I don't trust the military movers to move my two sportsters. I looked at renting a trailer from Uhaul but they want as much as I could buy a small trailer for. So that is what I'm thinking of doing. Buying a 5'x8' utility trailer with a built in ramp, adding chocks and tie downs and maybe a plywood floor. Do you guys think this trailer would work? I would load one facing forward and one backwards.

Last edited by random2934; 04-07-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:00 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,244 Likes on 11,126 Posts

It will be tight but doable. I have a 5X10 landscape trlr with folding eye bolts on the floor and wheel hoop for the front wheel. Plenty of room for one bike. Sporties are skinny but I wouldn't put two baggers in.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:03 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

The military will pay for the rental trailer on a DITY move rather than buying one (unless you want one).

I'd never let some of the movers that moved me so much as look at my bikes no less handle them.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:06 PM
random2934
Advanced

Originally Posted by E8USMCRET
The military will pay for the rental trailer on a DITY move rather than buying one (unless you want one).

I'd never let some of the movers that moved me so much as look at my bikes no less handle them.
No they won't pay for the trailer bc they are paying to move the rest of our stuff. I was told by them that the only way they would cover it is if I moved it with the rest of the stuff.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Litl D
Cruiser
Unhappy

There should be a partial DITY move that should cover this - unless something's changed in the 11 years since I retired.

Most stuff goes with the contract movers, and you still get some reimbursement for moving some stuff yourself - and it should be the things that shouldn't be trusted to the movers anyways - family heirlooms, guns, bikes, etc.

Allowances depend a lot upon rank - Junior enlisteds don't get much help in terms of special treatment, unfortunately, especially if moving more than one vehicle or a family's worth of stuff. The more rank you have, the more they expect you to own and need to move. Regardless, double check with the Transportation Officer before you give up on the idea of getting some reimbursement for hauling the bikes yourself.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:21 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a 5 x 10 utility trailer with a ramp. I don't see two bikes fitting on there very easily.

How much does uhaul want for a one way rental? A utility trailer will be about four hundred dollars, plus costs of the chocks.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:46 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Buy/rent the trailer. Measure empty at departure location and measure empty at destination. You'll get some compensation.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:12 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Originally Posted by _Gir_
Buy/rent the trailer. Measure empty at departure location and measure empty at destination. You'll get some compensation.
Find out what the max DITY reimbursement weight is then max it out. I did that on a truck I rented. When I got to the destination I had it weighed still full and found out I was short about 500 pounds. I asked this farmer I knew if I could borrow some tractor front end weights and whatever else was heavy and I loaded it up and re weighed it.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:52 AM
trmac
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by random2934
No they won't pay for the trailer bc they are paying to move the rest of our stuff. I was told by them that the only way they would cover it is if I moved it with the rest of the stuff.
They might not pay for a DITY if it's going to the same location as the main shipment. I did some DITYs when PCSing - DITY went to different location than the PCS move. Use an address down the street, across town or where ever for the DITY and you can probably get them to cover it. If they question it, just tell them the bikes aren't going to the same place as the rest of your stuff.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:03 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by random2934
That's not right! I've moved 5 times in the last 13 years and a always did a partial dity. Had them move all the big stuff and I towed all the stuff I didn't want the movers to touch. I'm moving again in July and will moving the harley, lawn tractor and tools like usual. I'd find the regs and throw it in their face. As long as it's going to where the rest of your stuff is going you should get reimbursed.

I had a 7x16 enclosed. Now I have a 7x12 dump trailer that I'll build an enclosure for.

Last edited by JaronB; 04-10-2014 at 09:29 PM.

Quick Reply: 5'x8' utility trailer