General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to use my CB for the first time.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 05:05 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Trying to use my CB for the first time.

Ok guys I'm feeling pretty dumb trying to get my CB to work for the first time. I have my headset all hooked up with the stereo and weatherband working fine. I have my manual but became a little brain dead trying to get my CB to work. I was able to get it where it says it's on but it also says setup. I was able to get the intercom to where it says it's on. I scanned through the channels but I don't hear anything. When I push the ptt button nothing happens. Can any of you guys make some suggestions to get this thing working ? I was going to see my local dealer for help but it started raining so I didn't go. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:09 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Originally Posted by C908
Ok guys I'm feeling pretty dumb trying to get my CB to work for the first time. I have my headset all hooked up with the stereo and weatherband working fine. I have my manual but became a little brain dead trying to get my CB to work. I was able to get it where it says it's on but it also says setup. I was able to get the intercom to where it says it's on. I scanned through the channels but I don't hear anything. When I push the ptt button nothing happens. Can any of you guys make some suggestions to get this thing working ? I was going to see my local dealer for help but it started raining so I didn't go. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.
What year bike do you have?

Old 04-17-2014, 05:37 PM
C908
Road Warrior

I'm sorry I forgot to mention I have a 2010 Ultra Classic.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:43 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

Plug in your HD microphone/speaker in to the jack. Turn off the intercom for right now. Turn on the CB. Pick a CB channel; channel 19 is used by most truckers traveling the interstates. Decrease the squelch level; the higher the squelch level the more signals that are filtered out (not heard). With the squelch level at it's lowest level or open, adjust the CB volume (you should just hear static with the squelch turned down). Slowly raise the squelch until the static is no longer heard. To transmit you will have to press and hold the Push To Talk switch while speaking into the microphone. I hope this helps.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:25 PM
C908
Road Warrior

When I try and adjust the squelch nothing happens. I turned off the intercom and the CB says on set. I put it on channel 19 as suggested. Shouldn't I see something on the screen when I try and adjust the squelch ? Thanks.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:30 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes the squelch level will increase and decrease as you move the control.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:40 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

Make sure the dash switch is set to headset and not external speakers if you have your helmet on

Old 04-17-2014, 07:28 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member

When you adjust the squelch you should see an icon on the screen somewhat similar to what you see when you adjust volume. When you press the PTT switch to transmit or when the CB is receiving a message the "CB" icon on the screen should light up. I forgot to mention that to use the headset you have to put the speaker rocker switch in the middle position. This position will allow you to listen to the CB thru the headset and transmit while using the headset mic & the PTT switch. Remember that the speaker switch has 3 positions. Position 1- Radio & CB heard thru dash speakers; Position 2 - radio thru Dash speakers, CB thru headset; Position 3 - radio & CB thru headset. Buy the way what year bike do you have?

Old 04-17-2014, 07:33 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member

If you watch this video, especially the last 2 minutes, it might make things a little clearer. Disregard the talk about the In-line volume **** - it is not on the HD headset.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:10 PM
C908
Road Warrior

I went back out and took another shot at it and here is my question. Everything is responding on the screen except for my squelch setting. It's raining outside so I'm in the garage. I didn't expect to get good reception in the garage but thought I could at least get it something. Would being in the garage keep the squelch from working ? On the screen it shows my intercom is on and it shows my CB is on. I also adjusted it so it says the VOX is open. I just can't figure out why nothing is happening with the squelch, any ideas? I did watch the video thanks for posting it.

Quick Reply: Trying to use my CB for the first time.