General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to Demo Day today, tried 5 models.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 10:53 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Went to Demo Day today, tried 5 models.

Had a lot of fun today riding different models, here are my thoughts. First I rode a Heritage Classic which felt like a good fit based on my 5'7 170lb size. The things I noticed was a lot of wind even though I was looking through the shield. The engine also seemed a little buzzy and the stock exhaust sounded terrible. The second bike I rode was a Streetglide Special. While I liked this bike in comparison to my 2010 Ultra that is setup without the tour pac I did not feel much difference. I could not feel any improvement with the fairing vent. I tried to pay close attention to the ride with the premium shocks but found no big improvement. The 103 ran fine but not much different than my 96 with stage 1. The third bike I rode was a CVO Road King and this bike looked great but I was just not impressed with the ride.The shield was to small, the clutch had a grab point where the lever had to be almost all the way out. The fourth bike I rode was the Low Rider. While I'm not that big of a person I felt really cramped on this bike.This bike just wasn't for me let me leave it at that. My fifth and final bike to test ride was the Trike. I really didn't expect to like the trike but I was pleasantly surprised. I'm not ready for a trike yet but if and when I can't handle the weight on two wheels I will go for a trike. After riding all of these bikes my first choice at this time would be a Street Glide Special.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:00 PM
SG_Jim
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like a good day. How long were the test rides? Around the block or around town?

Old 04-20-2014, 12:08 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Street Glides are one of two bikes I'd love to have. I just think their profile is slick.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:12 AM
jlgale
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many of us don't go to the Trike because we can't hold them up. For me it was major surgeries on my Cervical and Lumbar areas. More of a case of if I go down I'll be dead or a quadraplegic. I miss my '05 Road King dearly and always will. In fact it didn't even sit on the floor a week before being gone!

Old 04-20-2014, 01:55 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Nothing beats demo'ing several bikes at the same time - while you can read all of the info out there on the internet and listen to others opinions - the proof is when you put your ars in the saddle.
I would suggest going to a different bike shop and demo'ing the bikes again on a different set of roads and see if they ride differently.
I hope you end up buying the bike of your dreams.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:53 AM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_Jim
Sounds like a good day. How long were the test rides? Around the block or around town?
The demo ride was right at 10 miles with a variety of roads. There was even one road that was bumpy so it was a good test for how the different bikes handled bumps. We had one nice stretch of black top country road where we were doing 70 mph.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:56 AM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 789 Posts
Default Ride More bikes

You need to get on a Dyna Street Bob, Fat Bob, And Wide Glide. The Low Rider is great but as you said, just something about it didn't feel right to you. After owning a Road King for nine years I rode every bike in the Harley line last year at Americade. The touring bikes were certainly exceptional but the Dynas were just more fun. Then I priced them out and a Street Glide was $22,000 and a Super Glide cost me $12,500. You can make a Dyna into a comfy bike four touring but you can't shave 200 pounds off a tourer. Putting 103 cu.in. between your legs on a Dyna frame, well, it doesn't get much better IMHO.
Check out the HD1 feature where you can order a Street Bob to your specification and have it delivered to your dealer. You can get a bike to your liking for under $15,000. Just saying you need to really do your homework. Hey, what's so bad about riding lots of Harley's?
Have fun and good luck!

Old 04-20-2014, 08:54 AM
HarDlife
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Antonio *****
You can make a Dyna into a comfy bike four touring but you can't shave 200 pounds off a tourer.
Sure you can. Just leave her at home.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by HarDlife
Sure you can. Just leave her at home.
I did not say "AS COMFORTABLE AS A TOURER". Nothing compares to air shocks and a huge front suspension. But, in my case I ride much more often now because I enjoy taking the Super Glide out for a swing around the neighborhood. Never did that with the Road King. For long rides I put a removable windshield, luggage rack and had the seat reworked.

It's all about riding.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:51 PM
evohog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Antonio *****
I did not say "AS COMFORTABLE AS A TOURER". Nothing compares to air shocks and a huge front suspension. But, in my case I ride much more often now because I enjoy taking the Super Glide out for a swing around the neighborhood. Never did that with the Road King. For long rides I put a removable windshield, luggage rack and had the seat reworked.

It's all about riding.
I read HarDlife's comment a little different
Leave HER at home and go for a solo ride

Quick Reply: Went to Demo Day today, tried 5 models.