General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a hard tail sportser

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:30 PM
alucard9899
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a hard tail sportser

I need a hobby. Something I can do when the GF/ Probably future wife is working different shift and days as me and I have a 8+ Hour block of time to my self.

I originally wanted to buy a factory five kit car(Cobra). but don't have the money, space and tools to properly do that job yet.

So I am thinking of a Hard Tail chassis, 200 ish rear tire and maybe a fat front one as well. with Probably a Sportster engine.

It will be a project bike with maybe about a year deadline. That will allow me to budget and spread my time out. Never really done this but thinking with you guys on here, The internet and some mechanically inclined friends its a doable. Especially when I can still ride my Wide Glide around.

Something like these. Probably without some of the extra bling added for a while.
Thoughts? Waste of time / Not worth it? Or great project for the long term if you already have a bike to ride?

Last edited by alucard9899; 04-24-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:17 PM
Zim
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an opinion, but I would start out with a whole running bike. I would also hard tail the original frame (there are a dozen companies that make them) so there's no headaches with titling.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:21 PM
ClodeV
Tourer

I think that would be a great project. I'm looking to build a chopper sometime over the next few years if i can scoop up a sportster cheap enough with a working motor. Had a line on an old 85 but the kid wanted to much for the POS. good luck if you do it start a thread we would be interested in seeing it develop.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:28 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

With the knowledge that if you ever have to sell it, you will never get your money back out, go for it.

Because I'm of a certain age, (geezer) I would do a Bronson tribute bike. But that's just me being a candy *** and wanting some suspension.

Both those bikes are nice.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:02 PM
alucard9899
Cruiser

Ya not looking to sell or break close to even really. Just looking for a hobby to occupy my time when friends and the GF are away. Something to pour a glass of Rum and coke and tinker in the garage for a bit. It won't be my daily rider since I have the Wide glide. so thinking hard tail for the fun of it and to bum around Tucson during a cool day. maybe a open primary or something if I am daring enough.

Ok its official then time to start looking for a decent frame. Anyone have any ideas for ones that are close to the pics I posted?

Old 04-24-2014, 04:18 PM
Zim
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
With the knowledge that if you ever have to sell it, you will never get your money back out, go for it.

Because I'm of a certain age, (geezer) I would do a Bronson tribute bike. But that's just me being a candy *** and wanting some suspension.

Both those bikes are nice.
Yeah, one day job. Paint it red and put some decals on the tank.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:16 PM
coot58
Cruiser

heres my project..'88 1200 sporty motor in a paughco frame...stock rake and no stretch.so far i made the seat and tank mounts,battery box,kickstand mount,grabbed the rear caliper at a swap meet for 25 bucks..got a ways to go but i aint in no hurry.sorta a money pit,but this bike will never ever be for sale so i dont care.

Attached Thumbnails Building a hard tail sportser-imag0563.jpg   Building a hard tail sportser-imag0559.jpg   Building a hard tail sportser-imag0500.jpg   Building a hard tail sportser-imag0305.jpg  
Old 04-24-2014, 07:54 PM
Rynb15
Tourer

i have been wanting to do the same thing. im always looking for a good deal on an old beat up sporty on craigslist. one of these days ill get one.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:18 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,516 Likes on 805 Posts

Go for it. I agree with Zim, that you might want to look into hardtailing a stock frame to avoid DMV and insurance hassles. I've seen a lot of them with a hardtailed stock frame and they looked nice.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:23 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

Worth looking at leadsledcustoms They make some awesome sportster chopper frames, hard tail kits and parts.

Quick Reply: Building a hard tail sportser