General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handle Bar Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 04:43 PM
Pappy1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handle Bar Question

I am on a 09 Street Glide...Still Running stock bars...several people keep telling me to go with a taller bar..not ape hangers but taller then stock...10" or 12"...they all claim once you do it you will never ride stock again...it has always looked to me to be uncomfortable ...Just seems to be harder to turn the bike and I have always thought my arms would get numb being higher up...but they tell me it will take the pinch out of your back...Thoughts, Input..pro's and cons

Old 04-25-2014, 04:57 PM
jojo2dog
Road Captain

they had apes on a superglide when I bought it, took them of and put on a set of roadking bars, some people like there hands in the air I'm not one of them, all depends on what you prefer. the apes were uncomfortable to me and the roadking bars felt better.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:58 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

They are full of it. They like the way they look and truly believe they are more comfortable but have you ever seen anyone walking around holding their arms above their shoulders? Driving a car with their arms above their shoulders? Watching TV with their arms above their shoulders? Yes I had them on a rigid briefly because everyone said how bitchin the bike would be with them. Yeah I took em off and put proper bars on.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:02 PM
Pappy1
Road Captain

kinda what I have been thinking....10" does not look bad and is not too high...but seems to me if my arm are higher they will fall asleep....LOL

Old 04-25-2014, 05:05 PM
raggmann
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have back issues and can't ride with stock bars. I've got 12-1/2" Carlini's on my Deluxe and would NEVER go back to stock bars. Yes,your hands will generally go numb IF your hands are above the point of your shoulder but mine are level with my shoulders and I have ridden 11 hrs in one push and have never had an issue.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:06 PM
ml103
Advanced

I have 12 1/2" Wild One apes on my road king much more comfortable than the reduced reach bars I had put on when I bought the bike. I am 5'8" and could have gone 14" and the bars still would have been below my shoulders but I didn't want to take the chance they were too high. I think it is a combination of being taller,wider and with reduced reach to the bars. I can now actually lean against my backrest, so much more comfortable. I wish I put them on from the start. I think most (not all) who say apes suck have never tried them.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:07 PM
tinmarine
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I switched to higher bars on my old FatBoy and they were leaps and bounds more comfortable. They weren't hangers, just higher. It sits you up into a more comfortable position. Don't know how tall you are, but go to the dealer and sit on a Heritage or new Road King (they went to higher bars on the 14) and see how it fits. The police Road Kings had higher bars than the stock RK's. They wouldn't do that just to make cops look cool, it's done for a reason. I'm planning on going with Wild One's on mine, just need to decide on 10's or the 12.5's. Leaning towards the 12.5's.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:18 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Different strokes for different folks - are you comfortable with your current bars position?... does any of these people have a set of 10/12" set-up on their scoot that you could try them for fit?
Personally I would stay put until you had a chance to try out the others and find something you like - bars with all of their wires and parts is not something you want to do & undo too often unless your pretty comfortable doing so.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:12 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pappy1
I am on a 09 Street Glide...Still Running stock bars...several people keep telling me to go with a taller bar..not ape hangers but taller then stock...10" or 12"...they all claim once you do it you will never ride stock again...it has always looked to me to be uncomfortable ...Just seems to be harder to turn the bike and I have always thought my arms would get numb being higher up...but they tell me it will take the pinch out of your back...Thoughts, Input..pro's and cons
I have a '06 FLHX and the 12" bars are one of the best mods I've done. They are far more comfortable than stock, my arms have never gotten "numb", and the bike is not harder to turn.

And by back never gets sore during long rids.

I have no cons to mention.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:22 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
They are full of it. They like the way they look and truly believe they are more comfortable but have you ever seen anyone walking around holding their arms above their shoulders? Driving a car with their arms above their shoulders? Watching TV with their arms above their shoulders? Yes I had them on a rigid briefly because everyone said how bitchin the bike would be with them. Yeah I took em off and put proper bars on.
Yeah, this. Me no likey monkey bars.

Quick Reply: Handle Bar Question