General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had to try me the new Bell Bullitt

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 03:13 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Had to try me the new Bell Bullitt

As great as my Arai FF is, I was intrigued by something a bit more old school to go with my bike. I'd like to wear a FF everyday, and was willing to go from Snell approved to just DOT for the trade off of a bigger porthole, lighter weight, and less racer-like graphics.

Enter the Bell Bullitt. Not cheap at $399 retail, but not cheaply made either. Leather trimmed innards. Chrome trimmed outtards. Fiberglass shell as opposed to polycarb. This thing looks great, and rode really well on both the superslab and surface roads during my commute today. Nice form follows function design.

You can actually see your speedo on a Harley with this fullface, and don't have to turn your head turtle-like to see behind you. Not as insulating as my Arai, but not very noisy at all. Kinda like its open feel.

I wouldn't recommend it for extreme temps either direction. The top vents don't close. (Suppose you could stop em up somehow.) But is a fine helmet for most temperatures. Really digging it so far.

Little Bell sticker in front comes off. Not covered by lacquer. Will probably take that off later today if it test rides well again.

I bought the bubble shield separately. It comes with a regular flat shield, which I also dig actually.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 05-02-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:15 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

neato

Old 05-02-2014, 03:28 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Good grief Dude...how many helmets does this make?

Old 05-02-2014, 03:31 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Good grief Dude...how many helmets does this make?
Thanks for counting, haha. I only own three, dude. What you see is me trying them. And If I don't like em, I return them per the seller's policy.

If this one keeps riding so well, I might be selling my Arai. Then I'll be down to two. A FF and a 3/4.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:39 PM
LonestarXL
Road Captain
Received 283 Likes on 108 Posts

I bought one a week ago in flat black..really digging it. I have the flat face shield. Hoping the rumors are true about them coming out with a photochromic shield. If so this the perfect helmet. Way lighter and much better view than the Bell Arrow I was knocking around with the last two years and try as I might I cant get into wearing my half. I do too much interstate without a windshield.
Downside is, I may have to get a helmet lock...no one wanted the beat up Arrow but hanging this one on my bars seems too enticing.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:44 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by LonestarXL
I bought one a week ago in flat black..really digging it. I have the flat face shield. Hoping the rumors are true about them coming out with a photochromic shield. If so this the perfect helmet. Way lighter and much better view than the Bell Arrow I was knocking around with the last two years and try as I might I cant get into wearing my half. I do too much interstate without a windshield.
Downside is, I may have to get a helmet lock...no one wanted the beat up Arrow but hanging this one on my bars seems too enticing.
They are doing a photochromatic, but only in the flat shield, not bubble. All good though. I like the flat shield just as much.

It is surprisingly light. I wore a half for more than 10 years, and tried a 3/4 and realized 1/2s actually don't even ride that great, in addition to not being great on protection.

Now I'm into trying fulls and I think this may be the keeper! I'll give it a few more rides to be sure, but I really do love the way it rides so far. It took the I-5 and I-10 like a champ in rush hour this morning.

Might have to get me a cable lock myself and double lock the thing around the chin. If I were a thief, I'd definitely wanna swipe it. haha.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 05-02-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:58 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
Thanks for counting, haha. I only own three, dude. What you see is me trying them. And If I don't like em, I return them per the seller's policy.
They have a "return policy"??? I thought I saw a "no helmet take back" sign at the two dealerships I go to.

But TBH...I have three myself...one was given to me, one is my "old" one and the one I wear all of the time.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:22 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
They have a "return policy"??? I thought I saw a "no helmet take back" sign at the two dealerships I go to.

But TBH...I have three myself...one was given to me, one is my "old" one and the one I wear all of the time.
That's your mistake, chick, don't go to the dealer.

Online places have a return policy. I'm just real careful with them when I try them because you have to return them in mint condition. You have to pay 7 bucks shipping sometimes back to them, but it's worth it to me to try the helmet out.

So far, my keepers have been the Bell Custom 500 3/4 for almost daily use and the Arai Signet Q FF for colder days and longer rides on the freeway.

But I promised my gal I'd try to find a FF that I could wear everyday to protect this ugly mug of mine. This Bell Bullitt might be the one.

Kinda a nice compromise between the Custom 500 and Arai - and looks good too.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:24 PM
T-Rod45
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Well shoot I think you just got me to spend 400 bucks!

I have a helmet fetish. I wear a Shoei RF1100, Biltwell novelty 3/4, Fulmer V2 3/4, or nothing at all depending on the situation. I saw Biltwell's new Gringo full face, which looks just like this minus the visor and vents. These tow missing features were the 2 things keeping me from picking one up. I wear a bubble shield on my 3/4's when need be, which is fine due to the air flow from below. But no vents and no flip up visor on an old school FF freaks me out. Bell seems to have solved both problems. Now I just need to figure out what size... I'm a M in the Shoei but a L in the Fulmer.... Hmmmm.....

Old 05-02-2014, 04:38 PM
Unit 91
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slightly jealous. I've been kicking around picking one up in flat black. For now my Shoei RF-1200 will have to do.

Really like the look of the Bell, though. How is the fit compared to your Arai? If it's similar I might not actually be able to wear the Bell. Arais don't even come close to fitting my stupid melon in any sort of comfortable way.

Quick Reply: Had to try me the new Bell Bullitt