General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident today

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 08:53 PM
Roadcole
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident today

Riding with some buddies today on the way to the family farm. I was in the lead because I was the only one that new the way. 2 lane blacktop and I was enjoying the curves and got too far ahead. The guy behind me, who I just met today, was trying to keep up and lost it on the curves twice. The first time he managed to keep it together and ride it thru the cornfield to a field road and back to the road. The 2nd time he hit a ditch and came off the bike. Fortunately he never hit the pavement and ended up face down in the ditch. 5 broken ribs and fractured a vertebrae. He's gonna be ok but it was scary. I caught the end of it in my rearview mirror and I'll never get that image out of my mind. I'm feeling extremely guilty at the moment and not sure when I'll want to ride again.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:04 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Whenever riding with lesser experienced riders, you should tell them to not try to keep up if they cant. As the person who knew the way and no one else, you should have been a little more responsible and held back and kept the group together.

I'm not saying it was your fault, but you know... either way, I'm glad the guy is ok and hopefully he'll be riding soon.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:08 PM
jrodmma
Intermediate

thats a tough spot for sure...
you can't beat yourself up too much man. You didn't force him to try and ride beyond his capabilities. Sure, you were in the lead, but that doesn't mean you're responsible for him trying to ride beyond his ability to "keep up".
And like you said, he is gonna be fine. Im sure your desire to ride will be diminished for a while, but don't go selling your bike.

Last edited by jrodmma; 05-04-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:09 PM
HarleyGTP
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

You met the guy for the first time today. You took the lead and could tell he was having a hard time keeping up. He lost it ONCE, and got out okay. So instead of telling him to take lead or, oh i dont know, SLOWING DOWN, you kept pushing it.

You were the only one that knew the way, you knew you were riding OVER his comfort and skill zone. Yes, you are indeed to blame for this accident. Hate to sound like a jerk, but that's the truth.

5 broken ribs and a broken vertebrae.........he's going to be okay!? I've seen people with fractured vertebrae never get their quality of life back, nerve damage, etc, etc.

I may seem like I'm ripping into you pretty hard, but you saw him loose it once during the ride!!!! Why would you keep it up?

I hope he's alright, and HE learned a valuable lesson today.........if the guy leading is riding above your skill level, take it easy and drop back. Better to be in the back, then in the hospital.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:12 PM
HarleyGTP
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jrodmma
You didn't force hime to try and ride beyond his capabilities.
I tend to disagree. The OP was the only one who knew the way. The rider either had to keep up, or get lost.

Another lesson for everyone, before you set out on a group ride, make sure EVERYONE knows the route, and the end destination. So they don't feel obligated to "keep up"

Old 05-04-2014, 09:14 PM
MN_RoadKing
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

That's a tough deal man. I hate to say it but sounds like you should feel guilty, especially after the guy demonstrated he was over his skill level. Of course the guy who crashed should also be responsible for his own ride, but he probably felt pressure to keep up.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:17 PM
scasey
Road Master

Not wanting to rip on ya bud but I agree with post 4

If saw this guy having hard time you most definitely should have slow down. Especially since u were the only one who knew where to go.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:20 PM
Roadcole
Novice

Originally Posted by HarleyGTP
You met the guy for the first time today. You took the lead and could tell he was having a hard time keeping up. He lost it ONCE, and got out okay. So instead of telling him to take lead or, oh i dont know, SLOWING DOWN, you kept pushing it.

You were the only one that knew the way, you knew you were riding OVER his comfort and skill zone. Yes, you are indeed to blame for this accident. Hate to sound like a jerk, but that's the truth.

5 broken ribs and a broken vertebrae.........he's going to be okay!? I've seen people with fractured vertebrae never get their quality of life back, nerve damage, etc, etc.

I may seem like I'm ripping into you pretty hard, but you saw him loose it once during the ride!!!! Why would you keep it up?

I hope he's alright, and HE learned a valuable lesson today.........if the guy leading is riding above your skill level, take it easy and drop back. Better to be in the back, then in the hospital.
Didn't know I was riding over his comfort level. I was told he was an experienced rider. He's been riding for 13 years. I didn't see him lose it the first time. I slowed down almost to a stop when they got too far back, but I was never out of sight.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:23 PM
LoneRiderFLH
Road Warrior
Received 949 Likes on 412 Posts

Well, anyone who hits the ditch and then doesn't reevaluate is a brick short. The guy got a freebie and then did it again The OP can feel remorse because he has a conscience but it was not his fault. One should know their limits and take responsibility for their FUs.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:30 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts

When group riding you have your lead and sweep. Before you ride off you should have at least have a pep talk/safety brief. My last group ride we were told to always ride within your limits. but then again you live in Illinois where you have winters. If I led a group of riders, I would definitely feel responsible for those that are in my group.

Quick Reply: Accident today