General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident down for 4 months

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:17 AM
abidzip
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Accident down for 4 months

I got in a accident in upstate NY April 12 with my 2013 Street Glide. Some lady with a back brace on was parked half on half off the road. I let off the throttle and started slowing down. Next thing I see is her backup lights on and I started down shifting quickly and braking to bring that bike to a stop but she ended up pulling out trying to do a u turn. I tried to lean the bike to the right and ended up hitting the left corner of her bumper and the left side of bike shaved the rear of the backside of her car, all damage and photos clearly show that I didn't hit her straight on in the rear end. The trooper talked to me for 10 seconds and being in shock I told him I only remember the backup lights and her being in the road. He said she claimed she wasn't even the road and he would talk to me the hospital and of course he never showed up. I ended up having surgery for a torn tendon in my arm and doctor said I will be down for at least 4 months of riding, I of course have retained a attorney for personal liability. Now the police report comes back and says she was making a left turn in a driveway and I didn't see her and rear ended her!! Now her insurance won't accept liability claiming it was all my fault. I contacted my insurance company to get the ball rolling on repairs while the lawyer works his end. The bike has $5500 worth of damage before they discovered it had a bent frame. I have collision plus $3000 in accessories coverage however I have a 120R and other accessories and have invested 34K in a bike with only 4700 miles. So what happens if they total it? Will it only be appraised at stock value? I have all the original parts including the stock engine. I also have a loan with my credit union and have gap insurance on the loan.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:27 AM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Man, sorry to hear about that. Good luck with it all. Freaking insurance companies are hard to deal with. I feel for you in that department too. Hope you heal soon.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:54 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,264 Likes on 11,133 Posts

Your attorney needs to hire a collision reconstruction expert to counter the claim it is your fault. The sooner the better while roadway marks are still visible.
Get well and heal quick.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:01 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, that sucks. However, from what you describe, it sounds like you might have had time to adjust your roll. I mean, if I see something "suspicious", like a vehicle half in the road, I try to start moving over as far left as I can, and keep a CLOSE eye on it. The more it moves, the slower I go, and the more I try to move away from it. IDK, it's easy for me to Monday morning q-back, though...

I hope it all works out for you.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:52 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Your attorney needs to hire a collision reconstruction expert to counter the claim it is your fault. The sooner the better while roadway marks are still visible.
Get well and heal quick.
This right here.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Warren9073
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How can the police base their report on only 1/2 the story. He shouldn't be able to complete the report without getting both side. Shows some prejudice towards bikes I think.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:57 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Get well and heal quick.

Agree!

Old 05-07-2014, 12:02 PM
MN_RoadKing
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear and good luck with getting back on the road as quickly as possible.

I agree about getting an accident reconstruction expert on it asap. From what you describe she was clearly making an unsafe, maybe even illegal, u-turn. Shouldn't be that hard to prove once someone looks at it closer.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:21 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,250 Likes on 8,383 Posts

Get well and heal quick.
Good advice! Get it done quickly.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:23 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,250 Likes on 8,383 Posts

Originally Posted by Warren9073
How can the police base their report on only 1/2 the story. He shouldn't be able to complete the report without getting both side. Shows some prejudice towards bikes I think.
Absolutely! Get your attorney working on this.

Quick Reply: Accident down for 4 months