General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slip-on clamp question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts
Default slip-on clamp question

I've got to pull the slip-on mufflers off the headers on my Eglide in order to slack the drive belt a bit. It's a bit snug right now. The service manual says to replace the clamps that hold the slip-ons to the headers. I'm having a hard time understanding why I have to do this.
Has anyone re-used the clamps? Were there any problems or is this just the Moco trying to sell parts???

Old 05-14-2014, 01:42 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,594 Likes on 11,257 Posts

I reused my clamps, no problem. Make sure u torque them to 40 ft lbs.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Rockgeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've reused mine as well on several bikes, never had a problem as long as you torque them as required and check the tightness from time to time.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Billsbuffalo
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

I re-used mine 3 or 4 times, never had a problem, they will be used plenty more times yet, easy money for the moco to suggest replacing them every time.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:51 PM
The Cheesehead
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I used to reuse mine until I almost lost one of my Slip Ons. If you can afford the $1.50 for the clamp at any dealer...I'd do it. The clamps are ment to be one time only use...meaning once their tightened...they're on. If you loosen them then you are not supposed to be able to get as tight a seal the next time. Now, you will be able to torq them the the necessary value, but the metal stretches out and it won't be as tight because the bolts will bottom out against the spacer in the middle of the clamp. Sounds contrary to logic, but I did measure the old one vs. the new one...it was 3/8" longer than the new one after it's 3rd use. Defective part...I don't know.

Now, this only happened to one of the two that I'd worked on, but when the one of the Slipons nearly fell off, I replaces both of them right away. No issues since.

Up to you...this was just my experience.

Last edited by The Cheesehead; 05-14-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:02 PM
AXL'14FLHTK
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently added a set of Slip ons and the dealer told me to replace the clamps...the new slip ons came with new clamps but they were garbage so I reused my factory clamps, so far no issues but I do believe I over torqued them after reading this forum.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:20 PM
grumble
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You can re-use them all you want, it's your choice. FSM says "new ones every time" for a reason - and it's not to add profit.

Yup re-using them may work for you. It worked for me, too, 3 or 4 times - right up to the point where I had to drive back and pick up a beat-up, road-rashed SE slip-on and drive 45 miles with it bungee'd to the sissy bar on my old Low-Rider.

Yup, I have a torque wrench. Yup, I know how to use it. Yup, I still have a couple of brandy-new clamps in my tool box from that bike... Pick something else to cheap-out on would be my advice.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:05 PM
1968aj
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have re-used them on at least 6 different bikes i can think of. no problems.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:20 PM
wuaname
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I priced them out last week, $12.. Cheap enough if you are using regular clamps to replace.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:52 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

I swap my slip ons at least a couple of times a year. Sometime I like the Rineharts,
sometimes the SE's. Been doing this for several years now, and have not had one
loosen up yet. I do tighten the hell out of them though, they are not bottoming out either.
Same clamps that came with the bike new in 05.
Your mileage my vary.

Quick Reply: slip-on clamp question