General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Distracted Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 08:48 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts
Default Distracted Drivers

I know that there are distracted drivers and I am always vigilant in my car and on my bike making sure that they don't ruin my day and possibly my life. But, I haven't really noticed it as much on my bike as in my car. I don't know if it's because the noise wakes people up or if it's just the different style of driving but I don't see as many people "distracted" when I am riding. Don't get me wrong....it happens....it's just, reading some of the post in here it's like every single car on the road is weaving in and out of their lanes texting and running people off the road. I would say that it's less than 10% in my experience. The rest of the problem is people who are just bad drivers anyway. Does anyone actually remember bad drivers? It is what we called people before everyone had the internet at their fingertips...technically it was before everyone had a phone in their hands. There used to be no bumper sticker for it, you would just fling them the bird and honk. Then it was the bumper sticker that said "Hang up and Drive", now I don't have any idea what the bumber sticker says but I am sure that there is one. But lets not forget, there is skill required to drive and not everyone is on their cell phone or texting....some just suck at driving.

Stay safe my friends!

Old 05-21-2014, 08:52 AM
Jack Sullivan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 132 Posts

That's because the countries they come from have no or very few driving laws or license requirements.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:55 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

I have to disagree. I find more distracted drivers when I'm riding. I think because we are, as riders, "invisible" to vehicles with 4 or more wheels.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:56 AM
JustaHawg
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the current "bumper sticker" that I wear on my back.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:02 AM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have seen my fair share of dumb riders too. Don't forget that, I have been in my car with my wife and have seen some really bonehead moves by bike riders. Some of them deserve what they get to tell you the truth.

And it doesn't matter if they are on a Harley or not we are all part of the motorcycle riding community and generally put in the same category.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:39 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by JustaHawg
This is the current "bumper sticker" that I wear on my back.

Please post a link, I am getting on of these today.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:41 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by baka1969
I have to disagree. I find more distracted drivers when I'm riding. I think because we are, as riders, "invisible" to vehicles with 4 or more wheels.
To be honest, I am a bit more aggressive when I am riding and that probably contributes towards my being seen a bit. I am not an A-Hole but definitely let people know I am there. Other than that, what I find is that people go out of their way to give me right-of-way. Maybe it's becuase of the area and lots of bike and motorcycle traffic. Not sure but it just doesn't seem to be that bad. In the car...that is a completely different story, it's like a competition out there to see who can be the biggest jerk.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:44 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Scrambler900
I have seen my fair share of dumb riders too. Don't forget that, I have been in my car with my wife and have seen some really bonehead moves by bike riders. Some of them deserve what they get to tell you the truth.

And it doesn't matter if they are on a Harley or not we are all part of the motorcycle riding community and generally put in the same category.
I have seen a lot less of that kind of moronic behavior as well. Lots of sport bikes sharing the streets and rarely see anyone get over 5000RPM on one. Of course, Saturday in a different area one wheelies by the bar I was at so it's still out there but just don't seem to see it as much. Maybe Darwinism?

Again, it's likely the area I am in but going by the posts I read I would be afraid to get out on the roads!! (see other post "I am not a Bad ***")

Old 05-21-2014, 09:46 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jack Sullivan
That's because the countries they come from have no or very few driving laws or license requirements.
Canada?

Old 05-21-2014, 09:51 AM
JustaHawg
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rocket67
Please post a link, I am getting on of these today.
Here you go brother, they have some other good ones also.

http://www.hotleathers.com/Hot-Leath...4306C1238.aspx

Quick Reply: Distracted Drivers