General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 10:12 PM
Rickinbeachcrest
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GPS recommendations?

So I'm getting a little tired of writing out directions for a ride and then trying to read my directions at a stop sign or pulling over on the side of the road. It seems to be time for a gps. The gps I have for the car (nuvi 1300) does not work with multiple way-points from HD ride planner.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a basic GPS that works with ride planner?

Thanks.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:09 AM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If money was not an object then the Garmin Zumo line is it. If you are not wanting to spend a bunch of money then look for a Nuvi that accepts routes.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:18 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickinbeachcrest
The gps I have for the car (nuvi 1300) does not work with multiple way-points from HD ride planner.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a basic GPS that works with ride planner?

Thanks.
Any Garmin GPS that supports multiple routes will work with the HD Ride Planner.
I am using the Garmin 1450 without any issues.

The nuvi 1300 you listed does not support multiple routes, so that is why it won't work.

Under any GPS spec sheet, just look for something like this: Routes = 10 (or any number other than 0).

Old 05-22-2014, 08:38 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

My review of the Garmin Zumo 665 on Amazon. I really like it.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1CX28G...cm_cr_rdp_perm

Old 05-22-2014, 09:26 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

On the Garmin side only the Zumo's will accept routes from a PC. About 3 years ago for some unknown reason Garmin decided that the Nuvi line no longer needed to able to do that. (ask me how I know!)

I just purchased a TomTom Rider V5 (the newest one). It is bulkier than a Garmin Zumo, but much less expensive. It comes with an included ram mount. The screen is easy to ready even in bright sunlight while wearing sun glasses. It does not have a built in speaker though, designed to give volcal commands via blue tooth. It seamlessly integrates with Tyre for Travel, route planning software that uses Google maps. It is also IPV7 waterproof.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:57 AM
rwt
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I just picked up a Nuvi 2455 LMT that looks like new off ebay for $69.49 shipped to my door. It supports <Trip Planning> and will be placed in my RAM Mount on the handlebars. It is powered by a USB adapter in the cigarette lighter and an 18" USB data cord. Picture of my setup I find that I can see the GPS better in full sunlight if I keep the display in <Night> mode. Whenever I leave the bike, I unplug the USB, remove the RAM mount, and lock the whole thing in my trunk or saddlebags.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:48 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Gps

I have a Garmin Nuvi 40LM I use on the bike. It is NOT waterproof but the plastic bag I carry with me is. It has lifetime maps and a speaker for voice directions. I got it on sale at Sam's Club for 80 bucks...

Old 05-22-2014, 03:00 PM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

I use google maps on my cell. I have a mount for it and it works great. If I change my mind and make a turn it will still get me there. No need to buy a special gps if you have a smart phone. Maybe the specific gps does more? but the smart phone works for me and saved me 700 over a zuma

Old 05-22-2014, 03:17 PM
kirbyblue
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stop and ask directions. Its cheaper and you meet some good people. I asked directions from a guy once, He said let me get my wife and bike. I'll show you where to go.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:42 PM
Rickinbeachcrest
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your thoughts. Some really good info.

RWT - I really appreciate the suggestion for a RAM cradle.

I was looking at this mount (techmount)
http://www.powersportsus.com/Garmin-...912gpscase.htm

Quick Reply: GPS recommendations?