General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question from Newbie/New Potential Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 09:01 PM
7heTrav
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question from Newbie/New Potential Owner

Hi,
I am new here so I hope this is appropriate. A friend of mine is selling a bike they no longer ride. I have included a couple of pics. According to them it has been sitting for about 4 years. It is an 87 883. I am wondering what kind of pitfalls I can expect. I assume it will need a new battery and fluids. Anything else I should pay particular attention to? Value seems a little tricky to establish based on condition etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated.Question from Newbie/New Potential Owner-pnoyvbf.jpgQuestion from Newbie/New Potential Owner-vrkdoxl.jpg

Old 05-25-2014, 09:21 PM
revfredmorton
Advanced

$1500 tops

Old 05-25-2014, 09:36 PM
Fifthstone
Advanced

That's a pretty old bike, but looks in decent shape. You will probably have to spring for new tires, possibly a final drive chain. Have you started it up yet?

Old 05-25-2014, 09:43 PM
Mikula
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

anything rubber check for dry rot. hoses, belts (though i don't believe there are any) brake lines, wires, you get the idea. do you have a mileage?

Old 05-25-2014, 09:45 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Lots of rust on that puppy - shocks, chain - lots of oxidation too - figure on new battery, tires, fluids, etc...you will spend almost as much getting it ready before your first mile....
if it were me, I'd rather spend $3k on a better condition bike

Old 05-25-2014, 09:50 PM
vaxt
Cruiser

Good info so far. Even if that bike was is great running shape, I would never pay more than $1500. Even that is a stretch. The bike is 27 years old. If you're not a mechanic, run away.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:51 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

How mechanically inclined are you? Something that old and relatively neglected will be a $$$ pit at first. It will require a lot of patience as it may leave you stranded til you get it sorted out.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:30 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I'd walk away as quick as possible.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:39 PM
7heTrav
Stage II

I am reasonably mechanically inclined. I know this will sound funny on this forum but up until recently I had a Honda Ruckus which I played around with, stretched it replaced the intake, exhaust and re-jetted it as well as replacing a bunch of components for fun. I feel comfortable with tackling what has been mentioned so far.
The story on this bike is the guy who owned it died(unrelated to the motorcycle) and his girlfriend is selling it. She is willing to sell it cheap and even take payments. I believe he was the 2nd owner. I am supposed to get the mileage tonight, maybe tomorrow.
I am not afraid of putting in a little elbow grease and it seems like with a little TLC this could be a pretty fun commuter although I am aware of the potential mounting costs of an older vehicle not to mention the temptation to customize it.
Thanks for all the great responses.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:56 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

If you feel comfortable wrenching and you've got the time to invest, that could be a satisfying project bike. Otherwise, look for one in better shape.

Quick Reply: Question from Newbie/New Potential Owner