General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride, Fish, Ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 07:03 PM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts
Default Ride, Fish, Ride

It's a family tradition for my in-laws to go to Lake Estes in Estes Park on the first Saturday in June to participate in the annual fishing derby.

Well, as luck would have it, my wife, 2 kids 2 sisters in law and one foo the sisters 2 kids were riding with us in our Ford Expedition.

Well, that was going to be cramped, so I decided to take one for the team and ride up to Estes.

I rode Hwy 66 through Lyons, then hopped on Hwy 7 through Allens Park and got into Estes.

We caught no fish, did not even get a bite! After fishing we went to their family cabin and had lunh and relaxed a bit.

On the way home I tool Hwy 34 down to Loveland then up to Fort Compton to go to my wife's Grandma's 90th BDay party. I did not make it to the party due to the weather coming in (Wife told me to head home to beat the storm).

All told, I put on 140 miles today through the mountains, 2 lanes and a little bit on I25 before I hit the frontage road because people in cages were driving like idiots again.

Here are a couple pics from the lake. I wanted to stop and snap pics everytime I saw a breathtaking view, but I would never had made it to the derby (not that I missed anything, huh?).

I am planning to ride Peak-to_peak soon and will be alone and without any commitments other than "Return home alive" so I will have more time to take pics.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:13 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Can't escape the idiots in the Rockies,once Trail Ridge opens. Lived on McCall Lake,on 66,just out of Lyons for 15 years. Can't count the bike wrecks. Stay heads up on Peak to Peak,while it's a great ride,there are distracted drivers out the wazoo. Try early morning,a lot less crowded.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:15 PM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Thanks for the tip Twistnride. I am one of those awful morning people so I was hoping to start early when I go.

Wish I had a bike camera with handlebar mounted Still-shot and Video Record/Pause controls. Some of that stuff is even better on the move.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Only trouble with that is,everything is on one side of the road or the other,or above,and below it! Good news is,plenty of spots to pull over and snap a few frames. Get on 285 south,thru the San Luis Valley,and Sand Dunes Nat'l Monument. One of the great American rides.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:06 PM
fish-r-ride
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Great picture. I am sorry but pictures of beautiful lake interest me. Especially if you get to ride there. I just have not figured how to pull my boat behind my bike.