General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad compensators in 2014s. A heads up.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 02:35 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Bad compensators in 2014s. A heads up.

I know some of you have had strange noises coming from your bikes. Sounds like the motor is lugging, even when at idle. Mine started doing this so I took it in. Talked to one of the more experienced service writers and explained the noise. "Normal". "EITMS trying to kick in". Well then why does it still do it when I disable the eitms?? "You can't totally disable it. It is for temperature management so you don't ruin the engine". Well I know what the eitms sounds like when it kicks in, and this is not it. "Well lets go listen to it". FINALLY!!

He listens to it for about 30 seconds, bends down close to the motor on the left side, and it's chugging like crazy. He says, "your compensator is knocking, lets write it up".

So, my 2014 Road King with 2,570 miles on it had to have the compensator replaced. According to another writer, it's a common problem and there is an upgraded compensator for them. He just happened to have gotten in three, they were on backorder, so I spent all day at the dealer getting it fixed.

So, heads up guys. Have them checked at your service intervals if you have the dealers do them. In fact, insist on it. There IS a problem Houston.

EDIT: One other possible symptom, not sure, is a few days ago I was getting a burning rubber smell. And last night when I was cleaning the bike, there was a black splatter on the heat shield right at the front where it covers the crossover pipe under the bike. I thought it was strange because I knew I hadn't ran over anything to cause it, and there was no evidence of a leak from the primary. Upon closer inspection, it was a fine powdery substance that wiped right off. I thought it might have been soot, but now that I think about it, it may have been rubber. Could the compensator have caused that and kicked it out with the drive belt? I'm hoping they checked the drive belt while they were at it today. I forgot to mention all this to them when I was there.

Last edited by DannyZ71; 06-21-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:03 PM
Thor183
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info. I noticed the black soot on my rear rim too but thought it may have been part of the belt break in. Is the issue isolated to the 103, or is the 110 motor experiencing this compensator issue too?

Old 06-21-2014, 03:06 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

That I do not know. Sorry.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:20 PM
Thor183
Advanced

Thanks I'll look into that one for sure.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:27 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,546 Posts

they all do that! at least the ones from about 07 or 08 i think is whan HD came out with this new upgraded compensator. what a joke it is, there should be a class action lawsuit against HD. how many people had to pay out of their own pockets to fix this major design flaw and safety issue? they have come up with at least four new designs and still can't get it right.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:34 PM
SR90
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think that service writer has clue one about EITMS.
All comps since '06 Dyna/'07 Touring have been problematic.
Black dust on rear wheel is brake dust.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:42 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SR90
I dont think that service writer has clue one about EITMS.
All comps since '06 Dyna/'07 Touring have been problematic.
Black dust on rear wheel is brake dust.
Agreed.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:07 PM
rsarno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im no form of a "wrench" and have no experience with HD mechanical issues, but i have noticed a few new sounds over the last week or 2 on my 14 RK.

At idle i hear it, and it progresses as i tick the throttle .. tho its not long before my pipes are loud enough to cover anything i may be hearing.

Impossible for me to describe .. like a metal on metal swirling sound. progresses as i raise the idle.

appears to come from front near my shifter pegs.

An experienced rider (who has had a stator issue in the past) bent down and didnt hear it, maybe im losing my mind.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:36 PM
charloo
Cruiser

The early 14 models did not have shims installed on the compensator which is the cause, should be covered under warranty. Easy fix.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:02 PM
rsarno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by charloo
The early 14 models did not have shims installed on the compensator which is the cause, should be covered under warranty. Easy fix.
Charloo do you have a link describing this officially, or explaining in detail?

Would love to bring to my dealer and let them add the missing item to mine. I bought my 14 VERY early

Quick Reply: Bad compensators in 2014s. A heads up.