General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shovelhead VIN Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 05:37 PM
Reign83
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shovelhead VIN Issue

Hey gentleman, bit of a situation on my hands and i'm seeking some guidance. Traded my 86 mustang 5.0 to a guy for an 81 fxe. Bike came with over a years worth mechanic receipts along with the carfax. Bike was salvaged in 95 but now has a clean title that transferred into my name okay. VIN on the case matches up but there is no VIN on the frame. Frame is aftermarket due to the salvage. I know post 70's harleys are titled by the frame and I was a bit ignorant to this until I traded for the bike. Wondering what my options are as of now?

Old 06-22-2014, 05:49 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Can't you register it as "home built" or "custom" in Tennessee?

Old 06-22-2014, 05:55 PM
Reign83
Novice

Not sure, havent done much research on that end yet . Just a lot of google searching. Im in Virginia Beach until August when my lady is up with her active duty assignment. Going back to Tennessee at that time. Figured I'd do some questioning while I'm still here in case I need to tie up Any loose ends.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:06 PM
Reign83
Novice

I've actually already registered and insured it here in Virginia so I can ride it. I'm just sketchy about rolling around on something without a proper VIN on it. Bike isn't hot. I assume the bike just got rebuilt back in the 90's with this other frame, and they just cleared the title and kept on rolling. Maybe im worrying too much?

Old 06-22-2014, 06:28 PM
medic2931
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the bike have a "salvage" title? In NJ the title would say "salvage" on it and would be good to go.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:29 PM
Reign83
Novice

Not sure if I replied properly, my answers are above ^. Do I contact the dmv for that info?

Old 06-22-2014, 06:34 PM
Reign83
Novice

Originally Posted by medic2931
Does the bike have a "salvage" title? In NJ the title would say "salvage" on it and would be good to go.
Title is no longer salvaged. Its a good clear title.Car fax shows salvaged title in 1995. But the next year on the repirt shows good title. I have it transferred in my name and its registered/insured.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:27 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the title isn't salvaged anymore and there are no frame numbers, you "could be" in a world of hurt. If I were you, I'd give the DMV a call with a hypothetical question. The frame needs numbers that match the title or you could be looking at some nastiness should you get pulled over by a cop that wants to check out your stuff. At any rate, selling is going to be a real problem unless the buyer is also unaware... I've been where you're at. I finally unloaded the bike to an overseas buyer to avoid the hassles. But I did ride that bike for a lot of years 1st!

Whoever got the original salvage title should have worked with the DMV to get legitimate numbers on the frame...

Last edited by Blue SOG; 06-22-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:55 PM
Reign83
Novice

Originally Posted by Blue SOG
If the title isn't salvaged anymore and there are no frame numbers, you "could be" in a world of hurt. If I were you, I'd give the DMV a call with a hypothetical question. The frame needs numbers that match the title or you could be looking at some nastiness should you get pulled over by a cop that wants to check out your stuff. At any rate, selling is going to be a real problem unless the buyer is also unaware... I've been where you're at. I finally unloaded the bike to an overseas buyer to avoid the hassles. But I did ride that bike for a lot of years 1st!

Whoever got the original salvage title should have worked with the DMV to get legitimate numbers on the frame...
There are some numbers on the frame where the engine is mounted to(flat surface facing front of the bike). Not a harley VIN though. I asked the mechanic and he says half the numbers look legit. The other half look stamped by someone else. Its 17 digits starting 4b7h8... For all I know there is correct paperwork sitting for this frame somewhere. I was thinking of buying another frame, buying a used frame with title, shop mechanic told me they stamp their own frames there to avoid the hassle of going thru the dmv and state troops. Eventually I would like to transform this bike into what suits me. I just dont want to drop a lot of money on something that is going to bite me in the ***. On the bright side, owner and I wrote up a bill of sale for the vin number on the case as well as the miscellaneous number on the frame.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:59 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

Get your car back, quick!

Quick Reply: Shovelhead VIN Issue