General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vanson chp jacket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 07:44 PM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Default vanson chp jacket?

Has anyone here seen any of the recent Vanson jackets? Is the quality still there? How thick is the "competition weight" leather now? Have they gone thinner on their leather than their older jackets?

Old 06-22-2014, 09:08 PM
kcdowning
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had one in my hands yesterday

I went to a Vintage Bike Shop anniversary yesterday that sales Vanson. They HD a couple there for size and so you could see them. They must custom order the jackets. I picked one up and was shocked by the thickness and weight. I am not sure what they used to be like but I was impressed.

I have always wanted one but can't get myself to spend that kind of cash.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:24 PM
Harvie
Advanced

I saw a real nice looking jacket and bought the used Brown Vanson Manx size 50 that did not fit.

I sent it up for alterations and first try the did it too tight 2nd time the made it perfect.

The leather added was a perfect match, alterations are bullet proof and seamless, and it weighs more than my Schott 118, 114 and Alexander and Aero leather jackets I have ever owned. It is the very nicest leather jacket I have ever owned in 50 PLUS YEARS INCLUDING HORSEHIDE. It makes my Maurderer from Vanson look liteweight.

The lady told me it would be over 1K to remake and take 4 months to copy. They had some of the leather left over from that production run and kept it. I have 125 plus the alterations of 240 in it.

Buy what you want used and send it in.....for a custom fit at a very reasonable cost.

Tons of used ones pop up on Craigslsit real cheap, (when the guy moves out )

Old 08-28-2014, 09:58 PM
hamcentral
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Harvie
I saw a real nice looking jacket and bought the used Brown Vanson Manx size 50 that did not fit.

I sent it up for alterations and first try the did it too tight 2nd time the made it perfect.

The leather added was a perfect match, alterations are bullet proof and seamless, and it weighs more than my Schott 118, 114 and Alexander and Aero leather jackets I have ever owned. It is the very nicest leather jacket I have ever owned in 50 PLUS YEARS INCLUDING HORSEHIDE. It makes my Maurderer from Vanson look liteweight.

The lady told me it would be over 1K to remake and take 4 months to copy. They had some of the leather left over from that production run and kept it. I have 125 plus the alterations of 240 in it.

Buy what you want used and send it in.....for a custom fit at a very reasonable cost.

Tons of used ones pop up on Craigslsit real cheap, (when the guy moves out )
Where did you send it for alteration? Directly to Vanson?

Old 08-29-2014, 12:14 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Check out Langlitz
You can order cowhide in the thickness you wish or my preference goat skin.

Custom fit made in America

Old 08-29-2014, 08:39 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I have the Vanson Technical Hardcore, Vent Max jacket, Mark II Cobra, Mark II Cobra Modified, Velociraptor and a Logans Closet Wolverine X-1 made by Vanson.

I won't ride in anything but a Vanson, period. I got all mine off of Ebay all for under $375, far less than the imported stuff that HD sells. All mine are labled Made in USA.

They run small so go up one size at least. You'll never go wrong with a Vanson.