General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back comfort

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 04:20 PM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Back comfort

I just put a Sundowner on my '14 Heritage to try and get a bit more lower back support over the stock seat. It is better but I could use a little more; are there any pads or other appliance that you guys would recommend?

In looking at the Harley catalog they have Road Zeppelin pads that I think I can make work.....thanks.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:26 PM
Elmicko
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best thing you can get is a driver's backrest. Made a huge difference on my bike.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:40 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a sundowner AND a driver's backrest on my Road King.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:59 PM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks..but unfortunately the Sundowner I have does not have the slot to install the back rest.....so its Plan B......

Old 06-23-2014, 05:18 PM
HarleyCamper
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with a Utopia backrest. Very adjustable and very comfortable.

Here's the link: http://utpr.com/

Old 06-23-2014, 05:19 PM
SquirtGun
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. I purchased a back strap called back-a-line...The one with the magnets. http://www.backaline.com/pages/retail-about.html

I rode 175 miles yesterday and I feel fine. Two weeks ago I went 211 miles without it and my back was trash...That's why I purchased it. Less expensive course of action first. Let me know what you do and how it works out...

Old 06-23-2014, 05:31 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

Old 06-23-2014, 07:05 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Personally, I'd spend $50 or $100 and have a local upholstery guy put a "hole/slot" in the seat so that you can mount a stock backrest. I'm a tall guy and I love the sundowner seat, but the backrest was without a doubt, the best aftermarket purchase I ever made. Sooo much more comfortable, especially on long hauls. IMO, altering the seat would be well worth the money.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:18 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,146 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Back comfort is important, I'd keep shopping...it's worth the money to achieve comfort. I'm someone with several crushed disks and I've had a discectomy on L4/L5 and have more to operate on.

I picked up a Mustang Regal Duke Wide seat, has a vertical section back there which works just like a back rest for your lower back.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:40 AM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had 3 back surgeries already at age 30. The last was a 3 level fusion with nuts bolts and the works. Back comfort is a must. I've learned having a mini ape hanger or full ape helps me a lot as my posture is better. Sitting straight up or slightly back much better than leaning forward. Might really want to think over your posture on the bike and what might help you feel better. That's one reason I bought a old style wide glide was the laid back posture and mini apes. Since adding a wide mustang regal seat I have zero back pain on the bike.

If you really want a back rest might take your losses and get another seat with driver back rest. If it keeps you away from spine surgeon it's worth it...,trust me

Quick Reply: Back comfort