General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heel Toe shifter sticking / not returning smoothly on 2012 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 11:43 AM
AlBaron
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heel Toe shifter sticking / not returning smoothly on 2012 Street Glide

Hi gang,
just got back from a nice ride and noticed that on an occasion the shifter would not return properly. It got worse during the ride and towards the end I had to use my foot to "help" the shifter get back in the position.
After I got back, I put her up on the jack and inspected the shifter. Everything looks pretty good, didn't notice any problem areas as I as moving it with my hand. But then I noticed the potential problem.
It looks like the shift linkage is actually rubbing up against the primary cover...

What is the best way for me to fix it?

Thanks,

Old 06-25-2014, 12:08 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

You may need to "re-clock" or re-position the shift lever on the transmission so it raises/lowers where the shift rod rides.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:09 PM
wkdayridr
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably not enough air in the tires.......

Old 06-25-2014, 12:13 PM
AlBaron
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
You may need to "re-clock" or re-position the shift lever on the transmission so it raises/lowers where the shift rod rides.

Mark,
any pointers/directions on how to do that?

Thanks,

Old 06-25-2014, 12:30 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

Check the pont where the heel and toe levers attach to the shaft at the front of the primary and make sure that they have not moved in too close on the shaft. That is a splined shaft and the levers are held tight by an allen head bolt thru each of the levers.
Likewise, on the other end of that shaft, the lever that is attached to the shift rod is also held by an allen head bolt.
Possibly, it may be a good edea to remove the inner lever, pull the shaft out and clean and apply some grease. There used to be a grease fitting there to keep the shaft lubed but HD decided to get rid of it.
If that shaft gets dry and packed with road dirt, shifter movement will become quite stiff and restricted.
Hope this helps.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:36 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Good advice. My heel-toe shift was feeling a little sticky. Put a lil WD40 on the nuts holding the link, front and rear. Alls good now.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:54 AM
AlBaron
Cruiser

Guys,
my problem is not not enough lubrication, it is about the shifter rubbing against the primary cover.

Any instructions on how best to "re-clock or re-position the shift lever on the transmission" as per Mark's suggestion above?

Old 06-26-2014, 10:18 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by AlBaron
Guys,
my problem is not not enough lubrication, it is about the shifter rubbing against the primary cover.

Any instructions on how best to "re-clock or re-position the shift lever on the transmission" as per Mark's suggestion above?
In order to adjust the shift lever position on the shift shaft (behind the primary), you're going to have to remove the entire primary drive, including the inner primary housing. There is no other way to remove that piece as there isn't enough clearance between the end of the shift shaft and the backside of the inner primary housing.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:29 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take and upload a picture what it's rubbing this way you can get a correct answer

Old 06-26-2014, 08:45 PM
AlBaron
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jerseyjeff62
Take and upload a picture what it's rubbing this way you can get a correct answer
here are the pictures

Attached Thumbnails Heel Toe shifter sticking / not returning smoothly on 2012 Street Glide-linkage_1.jpg   Heel Toe shifter sticking / not returning smoothly on 2012 Street Glide-linkage_2.jpg   Heel Toe shifter sticking / not returning smoothly on 2012 Street Glide-linkage_3.jpg  

Quick Reply: Heel Toe shifter sticking / not returning smoothly on 2012 Street Glide