General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessory power on a Road King

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 03:28 PM
TracerBullet
Supporter
Received 5,202 Likes on 2,832 Posts
Default Accessory power on a Road King

I am looking for a place to put a power outlet for charging etc.
Where have you attached one if you have it

Old 06-27-2014, 03:54 PM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

what kind of "power" charging an usb device , or a lighter plug? I have mounted a lighter plug in my saddlebag , but if you wanting more accesable, there are usb outlets that can be mounted to the handlebars o a clamp on lighter plug pod that clamps on the handle bars but its a lot more bulky.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:03 PM
BigIck
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have mind on the handle bar just to the left of the clamp.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:08 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,738 Likes on 5,864 Posts

Last edited by Redoilokie; 06-27-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:24 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I am using this to trickle Charge and run my GPS and phone charger from

Amazon.com: EKLIPES EK1-110B Black Cobra Ultimate Motorcycle USB Charging System: Automotive Amazon.com: EKLIPES EK1-110B Black Cobra Ultimate Motorcycle USB Charging System: Automotive

Trickle Charger in back runs to EKLIPES which powers the GPS and charges my phone as well (Not liking the clutch cable placement)

Old 06-27-2014, 06:12 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 903 Likes on 542 Posts

Look on the back of your headlight for a pair of wires coming off of it. Orange/white stripe and black. You can go to a auto parts place and buy a 12v receptacle (looks like a cig lighter) and use a usb adaper to charge your device. When using these wires from your headlight, if the headlight is on, you have power, headlight off, no power! I bought a 12v socket from an auto parts place for $8 or Powerlet sells one for $100. I wire tied my socket to the right of the trees. Right there in front of me......

Last edited by Hammerhead Pat; 06-27-2014 at 06:16 PM. Reason: additional thought
Old 06-28-2014, 10:43 AM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
Look on the back of your headlight for a pair of wires coming off of it. Orange/white stripe and black. You can go to a auto parts place and buy a 12v receptacle (looks like a cig lighter) and use a usb adaper to charge your device. When using these wires from your headlight, if the headlight is on, you have power, headlight off, no power! I bought a 12v socket from an auto parts place for $8 or Powerlet sells one for $100. I wire tied my socket to the right of the trees. Right there in front of me......
Be careful if the bike has CANBUS. It does not like unusual loads where it expects a certain level. I wire straight to the battery to avoid those codes.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:13 PM
RaisingKahne
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a lighter plug from batteries plus for my wife's King. It plugs into the battery tender plug when you are not charging the bike. It comes with a 6' cord. You can put it anywhere on the bike. Hers is zip tied to the clutch cable down by the base of the triple tree.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:46 PM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Deltran battery tender with the cables permanently mounted to the battery. I recently bought this adapter which plugs directly into the cable ends. It allows me to charge my phone, I-pod etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271429682772...84.m1439.l2649

Old 06-28-2014, 09:06 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
I am looking for a place to put a power outlet for charging etc.
Where have you attached one if you have it
Don't dick around. Call a Harley dealer,tell 'em you want the power cord receptacle that mounts on the top of the side cover. Comes with a template for layout. Just don't use the template blindly,check that it clears everything behind the cover. Neat,clean,plugs right into an open 4 pin connector on the front side of your battery,and can be turned on and off with the left side toggle switch. You can also get a "Y" splitter for the connector if you want another accessory. Search "12 Volt Power Outlet" on the forum,step by step install with pics.,plus the Harley part number.

Quick Reply: Accessory power on a Road King