General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointing Harley Experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 06:08 PM
wvedec
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Disappointing Harley Experience

I have a Honda Shadow Aero 750 that I really like. The only two things that I don't like are that, with its lower displacement and 5 gears, it revs high and buzzes at interstate speeds, and the supension is not as plush as I would like.

I have done a lot of research on Harleys to try and find "the perfect bike". Based in this, I had narrowed my search for a possible Harley to a 2009-2011 Heritage Classic (fuel injection, 6 speeds, hydraulic cam chain tensioner, 96 Ci, upgraded seat). I test drove two today. The first was actually a 2012 (103 ci) at a very good price. The second was a 2011 (96 ci). Both handled and felt great. I was immediately connected with the bikes. They were solid and yet nimble. The higher displacement and the 6th gear made cruising on the Interstate extremely comfortable and quiet. The ride was more plush than my Honda Shadow Aero, which is something I was looking for. BUT…they both ran VERY HOT. I mean, frying pan hot and distractedly uncomfortable. My bottom felt like it was broiling. I think this is a deal breaker for me. I road my Honda about 190 miles today and my thighs and bottom were a bit warm but not toasted. I researched a 2006 Heritage when I got home (figuring the 88 ci engine would run cooler) but noticed that these may be carbureted or fuel injected, and I want fuel injection. The 2006 also has only 5 gears instead of 6.

So, I am about ready to give up the Harley quest. I test rode a 1300 cc Honda VTX on the way home and the increased displacement helped get rid of the buzz at interstate cruising speeds. Unfortunately, the suspension was only incrementally better than my Aero, and not near as nice as the Heritage.

I guess I could try to get a Heritage cheap and do a Stage 1, get heat deflectors, and buy an oil cooler, but do I really want to do all this?

Old 07-01-2014, 06:15 PM
AZMTHunter
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not always summer... and I live in Arizona LOL. New to this site, but I got my Harley in 2007 and haven't regretted it for a day yet. My business partner picked up a Kawasaki Vulcan around the same time and he loves it - especially the fact that it is liquid cooled and runs cooler than my FXSTC all summer long. I say get what you love and ride the crap out of it.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:17 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

It sounds like a Harley isn't for you or at least you haven't found a good reason to get one. And that you like your current by a lot more. I'd put more thought into it.

As for heat...even riding in 104°, the only time I felt hot was at a stop and how long are they? The heat from the bike has never bothered me at all. But that's me.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:19 PM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It all depends on what you want. A set of VIED's will cool the bike right on down.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:20 PM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

No, sounds like your a Honda guy and you can't make a Harley a Honda so why try. You either want a Harley or you don't but be advised once you get the Harley bug it's hard to get rid of and you'll always wished you hadn't bought the siding.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:22 PM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are other models you may want to look at before giving up.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:24 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

You're not Harley material.....yet!

Old 07-01-2014, 06:25 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

I doubt you'll be happy on a Harley. Stage 1, heat shields & oil cooler won't make a big enough difference. Get a liquid cooled Honda.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:27 PM
Renegadewolf
Stellar HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 279 Posts

I bought a crotch cooler from Captain itch.com, best thing I could every put on my bike. It keeps the heat away so I don't have roasted nuts anymore. I rode Honda's and Kaws for a lot of years, having a Harley was on my bucket list for a long time. Now that I have a Harley and have been riding it awhile I'll never own anything but a Harley.

Last edited by Renegadewolf; 07-01-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:32 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Well, you are in Louisiana, so it's gonna be hot and the air will be heavy. Not so great for an air cooled engine.

That said. If you upgrade to a Stage 1 like most Harley owners do, with a tuner, your bike will run cooler. Mine used to be up in the 220 degree range stock and now it holds at 200 degrees.

You could also consider an oil cooler, or a simple leather crotch cooler that runs a leather apron between the engine and your seat.

Kinda the nature of the beast though. My 103 loves the weather out here, especially when the air is light and it dips in the low 70s. Runs great all the time, but in those conditions, it's a freggin dream.

I like that the Harley reacts to weather just like we do. But that's just me.

Quick Reply: Disappointing Harley Experience