General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made in USA HD Merchandise

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 11:08 AM
ransba01
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Made in USA HD Merchandise

I would like to somehow start a campaign to get HD to start having its merchandise (clothing, accessories, etc) made in the USA.

HD stuff is incredibly expensive as it is so why can't they cut down on their profit and help the American economy.

I am on my 5th Harley. I have a Kern Leathers Jacket, Danner Boots, Chaps from a leather shop that used to be in Florida, a pair of 18 yr old HD goatskin gloves. All these things were made in the USA.

I had a HD jean jacket that was made in Canada. It wore out and when I went to replace it, they are now made in Pakistan.

Any ideas on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:17 AM
CaCruizin
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ransba01

Any ideas on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.
Don't buy products from the East...

Surprised me how much the 'proud American motorcycle manufacturer' gets clothing made in other countries like China.
Better coming from some of the other countries Mexico and Haiti than China.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:48 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

This subject as you might guess is an often talked about subject around here. My guess is the mods will move it to the appropriate forum.

But to answer your question. How committed are you to American made products? I wear USA made products on a daily basis starting with my Red Wing boots (they do out source but not this particular model), Thorlos socks, Diamond Gussett jeans and so on. The clothes I wear on a daily basis cost a lot more than most people are willing to pay. Many folks talk about supporting USA businesses but when faced with a price tag of over $200.00 for some work boots vs $30.00 at Wal-Mart they often choose to buy imported products. Not everyone can afford to buy made in USA clothing or items. Frankly, it gets tough to find things made in the USA, and even then, you have to really do your homework to make sure the claim is true and not some marketing doublespeak.

When I have to log on to the HD website for any reason I take those surveys and comment that I won't buy products from HD or the local dealer that isn't made in the USA. There are times where I don't have a choice so I deal with it. But as a rule, it's US made for me. Like I said, you have to put your money where you mouth is and it ain't cheap.

So the short answer is don't buy foreign made stuff and tell the company & the dealer why you don't buy it. Especially from countries that harbor terrorists like Pakistan.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 07-08-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:06 PM
1jeep
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Why would the clothes be made in america when half the parts on the bikes arent?

I personally try to buy american made products when given the choice and i avoid that place called walmart! sadly my ford truck that was built in kentucky is constructed using a lot of foriegn parts.

its just the way of this global economy.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:18 PM
billatstarbrite
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only way to get a manufacturer's attention is to

a) buy their products in great volume

or

b) stop buying their products

All manufacturers, including our beloved HD, live and die by margin, which is simply the profit they make on each item. They will do what is needed to make the most $ from every item sold. That's Business 101.

Marketing 101 is this: manufactures want to sell a lot of their stuff, so if consumers stop buying Product CO (China Origin), they will offer Product USAO (US Origin) to replace Product CO if they are more than reasonably confident product USAO will sell in great numbers and thus keep the profit margin maxxed out.

I just saved you $40,000 on a MBA degree.

Bottom line; it would take a mass uprising of folks who stop buying any MOCO items made overseas in order to get the MOCO's attention. That won't happen.

The bling crowd (mostly cagers who what to look like badazz bikers) will continue to buy all the flashy rhinestone HD-branded bling. Nothing wrong with that.

The MOCO's business plan is a good one; It just happens to source many products overseas from the lowest bidders. GM, Ford, Chrysler and NASA all do pretty much the same thing.

Buy what makes you happy.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:27 PM
DRabbit
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

I buy USA as much as I possibly can. Was debating between 2 weedeaters, when I saw that the one I was leaning towards was made in USA, about $30-$40 more, but it will last longer, so I'll get more for my money and I like to think I helped an American keep his job.

As for the Walmart boots, I was in a bind and spent $40 on a pair that never did feel right. Last pair of boots was $160, made in USA, but more comfortable and I expect I will wear them for 10 years or more.

I think they make clothes to be disposable now. I wear my clothes until they are see through. The ones that have lasted the longest were made in USA.

One more tidbit I can't resist sharing. Had to attend a funeral recently and the wife pulled out an appropriate dress for the funeral. She wore it to work prior to the services and received compliments. She replied the dress was so old that it was made in the USA. She said she got a good laugh on that from her co-workers.

I will pay more for a USA product because I know the money is keeping someone employed.