General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardest adjustment for me to make on my new Harley

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 02:23 PM
wvedec
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hardest adjustment for me to make on my new Harley

I have a 2009 Honda Shadow Aero 750 since last October, and I just got a 2012 Harley Heritage Softail Classic a week ago.

Guess what is the most difficult adjustment? GEAR SELECTION!

The increase engine size/horsepower and torque of the Harley require that I use about one gear lower than on the Honda. I can turn a corner in first gear instead of second. I cruise down my country roads in 4th gear on the Harley instead of 5th. I try to keep the revs on the Heritage at about 2000 rpm, which seems about right. It looks like 6th gear will indeed be reserved for Interstate travel.

I am getting more familiar and comfortable on the bigger Harley now that I have put some miles on it. Lovin' it.

Wayne

Old 07-16-2014, 02:26 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If that's the only adjustment then it sounds like it was made for you. You are smart to go one gear lower. Harleys hate to be lugged and actually love to be in the higher RPM's but you've already figured that out so ride and enjoy.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:48 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have a tach & don't count the gears. I just listen to that beautiful engine.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:14 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I cruise in the 2,100 - 2,800 range.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:25 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

You're comparing apples to oranges. One won't/can't do what the other does. I use to look at the tac but I've started listening to the engine.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

During a full throttle application, I can feel the horsepower flatten around 5k. So I shift at that point.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:36 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by wvedec
I have a 2009 Honda Shadow Aero 750 since last October, and I just got a 2012 Harley Heritage Softail Classic a week ago.

Guess what is the most difficult adjustment? GEAR SELECTION!

The increase engine size/horsepower and torque of the Harley require that I use about one gear lower than on the Honda. I can turn a corner in first gear instead of second. I cruise down my country roads in 4th gear on the Harley instead of 5th. I try to keep the revs on the Heritage at about 2000 rpm, which seems about right. It looks like 6th gear will indeed be reserved for Interstate travel.

I am getting more familiar and comfortable on the bigger Harley now that I have put some miles on it. Lovin' it.

Wayne
Congrats on the new bike! You may be ******* the motor at those rpms. Mine seems to run best in the 2500 to 3200 range. When I get down to around 2000 to 2200 I usually downshift. HD motors don't particularly like lower rpms.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:01 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your next thread will be whats causing this noise, then 18 pages later someone will tell you to check the tops of your pistons and you will post a pic of the massive carbon deposit on the tops of your pistons asking how and why this happens and how to fix it.

Simple solution is to right now start riding at a higher rpm. Wont sound cool but it will prevent a future post about wtf is wrong with my ride.

My bike had less than 1000 miles on it when I got it and the carbon mountains on my pistons were not completely gone till 5,000 miles riding at the proper rpm. PO lugged the crap out of it.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:08 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Riding a Harley is kind of like driving a tractor. Pick a gear, any gear. Not all that hard to take off from a dead stop in third gear. That being said, I generally go with the sound of the engine and don't count gears.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:20 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
Riding a Harley is kind of like driving a tractor. Pick a gear, any gear. Not all that hard to take off from a dead stop in third gear. That being said, I generally go with the sound of the engine and don't count gears.
I was thinking that to myself the other day. It's like a tractor that can go 100 mph.

I know the sports riders can blow us away at top speed and can neat tricks with them lightweight bikes. But it takes a different kinda skill to master a heavyweight Harley.

I'm not saying one is harder than the other. Just different.

Enjoy the new ride, OP! And yes, without sounding like a know it all, get them RPMs up a bit.

Quick Reply: Hardest adjustment for me to make on my new Harley