General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 07:55 AM
smokinfromshootin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Change Question

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions for removing the oil filter on a 2011 dyna where the oil doesn't drip all over your frame and **** below it?

Old 07-17-2014, 08:04 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

No.... I tried a cut off 2 liter but it just made a bigger mess. Just clean it up fast, and hit it with non-chlorinated brake cleaner.... Dont let that oil sit on your rubber mount.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:37 AM
Sideways12
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a thin peice of card board or manilla folder and cut it into a rectangle, like 4x10 inches or something. Fold that in half and place under the oil filter to make a little path for the oil to go. The oil will run along the card board and into your drain pain. I can change the oil on my bike with out spilling a drop using this cheap *** method. Oil can get on the voltage regulator connector right below the frame and cause issues.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:51 AM
Nugget Shooter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sideways12
Take a thin peice of card board or manilla folder and cut it into a rectangle, like 4x10 inches or something. Fold that in half and place under the oil filter to make a little path for the oil to go. The oil will run along the card board and into your drain pain. I can change the oil on my bike with out spilling a drop using this cheap *** method. Oil can get on the voltage regulator connector right below the frame and cause issues.
Ditto.... Beer box works great

Old 07-17-2014, 08:52 AM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I put a zip lock bag around mine(Electra Glide) -- and it catches most of it if I take care -- thats when it is on the side stand. However, I just changed my oil when it was up on the motorcycle jack and had very little dripping and what did drip, missed the frame almost completely

Old 07-17-2014, 08:54 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,146 Likes on 1,508 Posts

I remember using a piece of cardboard, or drag a rag across right under it...when I had my Dyna.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:02 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

HD makes one,, but I didn't like it.. I made one out a plastic milk jug cut down, then punch a hole in the top and bottom of the filter and let her drain, but tired of that.

Now I just spread some newspapers out, put the oil pan under her, remove it and wipe up the mess...

Old 07-17-2014, 09:03 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

HD makes one,, but I didn't like it.. I made one out a plastic milk jug cut down, then punch a hole in the top and bottom of the filter and let her drain, but tired of that.

Now I just spread some newspapers out, put the oil pan under her, remove it and wipe up the mess...

Old 07-17-2014, 09:36 AM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a plastic gallon water jug. I cut it so that the curved part of the jug fits the contour of my motor around the filter. It fits pretty perfectly. I'm amazed at how well it fits. I even cut a little lip so it curves around the back side of the filter.

catches 110% of all oil.

I'm going on Shark Tank next week to try and strike a deal with Mr. Wondeful.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:37 AM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a plastic gallon water jug. I cut it so that the curved part of the jug fits the contour of my motor around the filter. It fits pretty perfectly. I'm amazed at how well it fits. I even cut a little lip so it curves around the back side of the filter.

catches 110% of all oil.

I'm going on Shark Tank next week to try and strike a deal with Mr. Wondeful.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Question