General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Riding More Dangerous Than Used To Be??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 12:17 AM
Bulldog10
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is Riding More Dangerous Than Used To Be??

WTH. Just got back from night ride bout 45 minutes ago--rode about an hour. During that time had a deer jump in front of me, which I'm always expecting, but also a truck pulling a trailer of firewood turn in front of me. How do I know it was hauling firewood??? Cause at 10 feet distance I could dam near count the number of logs in the trailer. I pounded the brakes and locked the rear wheel to avoid hitting it.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:29 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

Maybe, I just got back riding after 32 years. Back then there were less cars on the road and no one had a cell phone. I'm definitely more on the defensive now.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:37 AM
Bulldog10
Tourer

Welcome back to bikes!! I was only off 5 yrs and been riding for 35 yrs counting being a kid on dirt bikes. Seems like a lot more deer and a helluva lot more ignorant cagers. Maybe need population control in both cases.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:46 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,925 Likes on 17,478 Posts

The US population the year I started riding was about 207 million people, it's over 318 million today. Add in the fact a growing portion of them are 3rd world immigrates with all the bad that brings, cell phones any number of other distractions for drivers on roads that where designed 30 or more years ago fuc yes it's more dangerous out there today.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:47 AM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

And why did you lock your rear brake, why did you use the rear at all, was it wet?

Old 07-22-2014, 01:03 AM
Bulldog10
Tourer

Oh no, I used both front and rear. But it was close enough to contact that I popped rear hard for a sec. It was a low traffic county road outside of town and this ******** slowed down to almost a stop, then turned in front of me into his driveway. Learned a long time ago on dirt bikes that sliding into a wreck is MUCH better than high siding or in this example flying into the trailer. Locking the rear and not the front lets you bleed speed and still control the bike into a slide if youre gonna hit.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:08 AM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member

Received 5,660 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Yeah, I know what ya mean. I almost ran over a ******* the other night.

Holy crap! If ya swim across the river your back is wet.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-22-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:39 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,925 Likes on 17,478 Posts

Originally Posted by Drilln'Boss
Holy crap! If ya swim across the river your back is wet.
I worry more about the rice bowlers and the turban wearers

Old 07-22-2014, 03:02 AM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,207 Likes on 3,173 Posts

I go back and forth about this when I bother to think about it.

There are so many more bikes on the road than there used to be, and I think as a result a higher percentage of drivers are more aware of motorcycles. I get the feeling that there are more people that take a second look to check for bikes when they have time.

But there are more drivers who shouldn't be driving at all. I think there are more drivers that are unlicensed and ignorant of traffic laws, more drivers in a hurry that don't look at their surroundings, and more traffic.

But the bikes are SO much better. So are the cars. Volvo drivers are better, but they've been replaced by Prius drivers, along with drivers of other toyotas and Subarus. But the brakes on the newer bikes are SO good, along with the handling of bikes under braking-even bikes that weigh close to half-a-ton, that I think it's pretty much a wash. Or it would be if the cars weren't so much better that ignorant drivers felt superhuman enough to talk ona cellphone, text, and eat fastfood.

But I don't dwell on the comparisons much. What's usually most worthy of my thought is the threatof the moment, and it's always there. Now, and in the old days. That hasn't changed, and I hope I don't start thinking that it's better. I hope I don't forget that it's always there.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:37 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

IMO, the biggest difference from 30-40 years ago is two-fold. Cagers who are on their cell phone or texting. Bikers who obviously have very little experience, or are riding bikes that are too big for them.

Quick Reply: Is Riding More Dangerous Than Used To Be??