General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a safe shipping company for heavy parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 12:48 AM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need a safe shipping company for heavy parts

I just bought a Softail motor, transmission & primary setup off of eBay for my current build.

The seller requires me to set up shipping. Does anyone know of a good freight company that will SAFELY deliver the crate to me? It's gonna be approx 1,500 miles from the shipper to me.

UPS Freight & Fed-Ex Freight are crazy expensive with their shipping costs for heavy, large items.

I'm trying to build this bike on a limited budget.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:01 AM
HogWildHeritage
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd look for independent truckers if they even exist anymore. Lookup a guy named Soft something, he lives in the Peckerwood thread. He might have some ideas.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:50 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,408 Likes on 5,441 Posts

To get any kind of descent price you need to have it delivered to a business address with a truck dock, or pick it up at their terminal...home delivery from any LTL will be very expensive.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 07-22-2014 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:41 AM
oldprowler
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Are the items really going to be crated? Or Boxed? or on a pallet?
The answer to these (and more) question will have an effect on the cost of shipping and (optional?) insurance fees.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:42 AM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cheap or good? LTL freight charges are high. I have many customers who request we ship Fed Ex Fgt or UPS fgt because they get the cheapest rates. Others that come to mind is R&L carriers and Old Dominion. There are many freight rate companies on line that can competitively shop freight rates for you. Here is one I have stored in my list http://www.efreightrates.com/

I have not used these guys but the factory next door to me uses these types of companies all the time to save on shipping costs. Always get a freight quote in writing before you commit! As an individual you are being quoted the highest tariff allowed. I get discounts of 60-80% off published tariffs. So by all means shop around. Do a google search and you will come up with many more companies like the link I posted for you above. Get lots of quotes!

And as already stated if you have someone with a "Commercial" address with a dock or fork lift for unloading you will save more money. Hope this helps, Good Luck.

Last edited by wraplock; 07-22-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:47 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Didn't eBay have freight/shipping offers on your auction page? They'd be a place to start & then also check local freight carriers to see if they can schedule you onto one of their rigs heading through that area...good luck!

Old 07-22-2014, 09:44 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

There's a new-ish show on tv called shipping wars. Now, I know this is tv, but is there really a website or something that does this? The drivers bid for your business? You post what it is, where it's coming from and where it's going and they bid. That could be interesting and maybe cheaper.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 07-22-2014, 09:57 AM
pab3rd
Club Member

Received 213 Likes on 147 Posts

Little far for a hot shot, check local truck stop as indy truckers will post at them. I mean they put notes up on a physical board.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:06 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

The tranny and primary can be shipped USPS in a Rubbermaid tote if all boxed up and packed tightly. If the motor is together this won't work. I sent 10-20 twin cams (minus cases) to Australia and other overseas locations for about $80 per container in the early 2000s. I zip tied the containers shut and used about a roll of strapping tape to hold them shut. No complaints.

Had a evo 80" shipped from Hawaii about the same time frame for $150. I'm sure costs have gone up a bit. Another option is if you know a trucker.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:19 AM
Jack Sullivan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 132 Posts

If you know anyone that has or works at a business that uses common carriers for LTL on a daily basis talk with them and they'll hook you up in short order. They get flat pallet rates in certain regions and huge discounts to the others.

Quick Reply: Need a safe shipping company for heavy parts