General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice before I sell the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 09:06 AM
jmalmsteen
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice before I sell the bike?

I bought my Sportster (2006 XL1200L) last year because I had to have a Harley. That said, I can't ride this bike.

I'm 5'5", 120 lbs, with a 31 1/2 inseam, so the seat height isn't an issue. The weight of the bike is what has been an issue while making turns. I feel like the bike is hard to turn, and I run wider than I should. After riding the bike for ten minutes, my heart is racing and I want to go home. I feel like I've survived a battle.

Riding itself is not an issue. I have a Yamaha FZ-09, which is a 115 hp naked triple with close to a 32 in seat height. I'm not intimidated with the bike and can go out all day in all kinds of conditions- traffic, mountain roads, highways, etc. The bike is 414 lbs.

I really love the Harley but it scares the fck out of me.

Any advice before I sell or trade the bike? Thanks.

Last edited by jmalmsteen; 07-22-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:12 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

It sounds like the bike intimidates you and if were me, I'd sell it. In '81 I had my bike for 6 years and kept thinking about crashing, so I sold it.

Sell it and have fun on Yamaha.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:15 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Yup. Sell or trade it.
Ride what you feel comfortable with. I laid down my new Fatboy twice, cuz it just handled differently than what I was used to, but I soon got the hang of it. If it doesn't feel right to you or you just can't seem to gel with it, sell or trade it for something you do feel comfortable on. Nothing wrong with that. My commuter bike is a Yamaha SR. Much easier to pull out every morning and more nimble than any Harley...

Old 07-22-2014, 09:22 AM
jmalmsteen
Tourer

I normally don't give up on things. I see other women riding even bigger bikes. I love riding for the sake of riding and can't believe I'm almost on a crotch rocket, but the feeling that I'm constantly going to crash isn't one I'm comfortable with.

That said, I have not crashed, have not come close, I don't drop the bike and if I force myself, I could get on it and ride it if I had to. The hardest thing about selling it is the defeat and knowing how awesome the bike is (I've been on the back).

Old 07-22-2014, 09:38 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

It sounds to me like you need a lot of slow maneuvering practice. You know, friction zone, rear brake, etc.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 07-22-2014, 09:50 AM
xtremer-pxl
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a sportster & street glide. honestly my street glide handles so much better. yea its a lot heavier to move around but once your moving 10mph+ it feels pretty light.

My sportster feels like it fights me to turn. almost like its to light and doesn't get the traction. HOWEVER, I did change the tires on my sportster and it helped tremendously.

I ride a friends FXDB a lot and it doesn't fight to make turns.

with that said, IMO: Id sell it/trade in on a bigger bike.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:57 AM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts

If you really like having a Harley id try another model.. I had a sporty many years ago and hated it! Moved up to a dyna and it was much better then moved to a softail and loved it. For me the sporty had a very odd riding position, very high and awkward and i never could get comfy.. If i were you id try one of the Softail models. They have a very low in the seat and comfortable riding position.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:00 AM
rmarino14
Tourer

I've had sporties in the past and compared to the softails I've had they are a little more top heavy and don't feel as balanced. Saying that, it sounds like you are worrying too much about making a mistake in your turns and might not be looking through the turn and that's why you are going wide. JMO

Old 07-22-2014, 11:21 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I also had a custom sporty 1200 and before retiring I would ride it to work round trip 90+ miles. The sporty would wear me out on the expressway so I decided to go with a bigger bike. I cannot tell you how much more relaxed, confident and stable I felt on my Heritage. I noticed it almost immediately especially on the expressway.

My sporty also had a custom triple tree which gave it a bit more front end rake and I always had trouble making a U turn.

But that is my experience, you need to go with what make you feel confident and relaxed and comfortable with. If you are constantly worried about crashing then I fear you probably will. If you enjoy the Yamaha more, then sell/trade the sporty and ride the Yamaha there is noting wrong with that.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:24 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Have you considered doing the BCR2 (or equivalent) course? Essentially rider's school but with your own bike for advanced riders. Might make things a little easier. I did a two hour private lesson a few weeks ago which helped as well. Lastly if attached to the bike or Harley in general I would agree that maybe doing some test rides at a dealer might be in order. I do prefer the stability of my Dyna more that the Sporty. Conversely maybe an 883 might be to your liking.

Still, like the others said, if it's the geometry and handling of the bike are what is causing your grief you owe it to yourself to enjoy riding something that makes you grin spontaneously!

Quick Reply: Advice before I sell the bike?