General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Drop a King

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:10 PM
Bill D.
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How To Drop a King

OK... had to laugh at myself. I dropped my Road King over the weekend. Extra slow turn, grabbed too much front break, and whomp! I simply bailed out and landed on my feet. Not a scratch on the bike. Lesson is, don't use those Brembo's at slow speed in a tight turn... 800 plus pounds of beast is going to get ya! Check the reflection in the chrome running light... you can see my mistake.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:21 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts

That sucks! Glad it didnt get a scratch.. I just bought a new King last month and they are top clumbsy for sure! Really got to be careful at slow speeds and grabbing the brake!

Old 07-22-2014, 10:23 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

HA been there done that on a RK. Went home put it on it's side in my garage and vowed not to ride it until I could lift it myself. I did and sold it and bought an Ultra.....big mistake....Sold it and bought the Heritage Much better. Hard to put down. easy to get up.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:08 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

Here's a tip for you. When doing slow manoeuvers ... DO NOT TOUCH THE FRONT BRAKE!!! You just found out why.
Set your throttle at about 1500 RPM and use the friction zone on your clutch to increase or decrease speed. Drag the rear brake for extra control. But the front binders will drop you just about every time.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:43 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Think you just hit a oil patch on that smooth surface.

Tilts happen

Old 07-23-2014, 12:02 AM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah,those Brembo calipers grab some serious ***. Never wanna' reach for the front brake unless you mean it. And the front wheel is perfectly straight. Good thing about the "King",with an engine guard,they roll back up pretty easy. Don't ask how I know.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:37 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Never a good idea to do that with that big a biker audience.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:48 AM
ucmitch
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only bike I have dropped was a King drove out of the dealer in the rain coming to an intersection applied brake front end compressed and the nose down bob caught me by surprise I put my feet down, left foot brushed the floor board put me off balance enough for one of those Im going over.. no... I got it.... no.... Im going over moments, followed by dive roll out of the way all right outside the show room. Never so happy to be back on my breakout after that day

Old 07-23-2014, 04:06 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Don't touch the front brake during slow speed steering maneuvers. In the old days, "riders in the know" used to say "never use the front brake". Now everybody wants to use it at slow speeds with the steering off center. The urge to use the front brake during these times comes from the desire to put the feet on the ground before coming to a stop. Usually (as in this case, you can see the OPs right foot dabbing the ground) the person has already taken the right foot off the peg or floor board giving up the rear brake so all that's left is the front brake.

Learn to ride with both feet up, feet don't go down until the motorcycle is stopped (Many skilled riders only put down the left) and they go up the instant the clutch hits the friction zone and the bike moves forward.

There's an exercise that can teach this skill, used by one of our own. Look up a guy named Harris Neil, he has a document called Motor Lessons. He'll give it to you free. You can debate the merits of what it takes to ride a motorcycle slow and steady all day long on the internet but the laws of physics don't respect a post count, just skill.

Kudos to you OP for being secure enough to post your video and admit your mistake. You're on the right road.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 07-23-2014 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:59 AM
collin
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick Reply: How To Drop a King