General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

selling bike--paypal--out-of-state buyer

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 12:41 PM
Animosh
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default selling bike--paypal--out-of-state buyer

Hi. Advice needed. I'm trying to sell a bike to an out-of-state buyer. He'll pay via PayPal. Any particular scams or dangers I should be wary of? Thanks.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Mikula
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you can't take back a payment after it has been completed unless you OK it. once he pays ahead of time and it clears to your account, you're in the clear. even though paypal takes a percentage, DO NOT let him pay for it listed as "gift" make sure he pays for "product or service" that way you (and him) are both covered.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:17 PM
sjef
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Don't do it. I got burned by Paypal a few years ago. He can at any time call paypal and tell them you didn't deliver as promised and they will return his money, taking it from your account. You can have all the documents you want but they will always side with the buyer. Also mine wasn't set up as a gift. I had proof but they didn't even want to see it. Paypal is good for the buyer, not the seller. PM Me if you want details.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:41 PM
Mikula
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i just got off the phone with paypal (you can call them yourself and ask the same question) If you ship the bike, keep your shipping receipt and you're covered. if he picks the bike up, write up a separate contract saying he picked up the bike and you're covered (with bill of sale stating his paypal email, and that he paid via paypal). they have seller protection as well as buyer protection so you're in the clear with proper proof. that being said, don't let him arrange shipping, or else you'll have no proof

Last edited by Mikula; 08-03-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:49 PM
fdxguy
Advanced

When I have sold to out of state buyers, I only used paypal for a deposit. Had the rest of the funds wired. Paypal can be a major nightmare to deal with.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Steady Eddy
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Sold my GoldWing and got PayPal payment. Buyer sent truck to pick it up and driver had pick-up bill (made a copy) and gave me a receipt. No problem.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:39 PM
sjef
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steady Eddy
Sold my GoldWing and got PayPal payment. Buyer sent truck to pick it up and driver had pick-up bill (made a copy) and gave me a receipt. No problem.
I don't disagree, I've bought many items using PayPal and the sellers never once had a problem using it. But it's very easy to get screwed if you're the seller. If the buyer is not as honest as you and me there could be a big problem. I don't care what PayPal says now, it's what they say after they took the money from your account that matters. PayPal does not protect the seller. That's a fact.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Animosh
Intermediate

Thanks to all for the helpful responses.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:01 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Cash in hand or NO DEAL! End of discussion.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Who Dey
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Three words......DON'T DO IT!!!

Quick Reply: selling bike--paypal--out-of-state buyer