General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

check the simple stuff first....stupid

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 09:29 PM
tehan2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,929 Likes on 1,124 Posts
Default check the simple stuff first....stupid

I'll give the quick version.

I've been riding for about 25 years and doing most of my own wrenching for 20. I like to think I know my limitations

So a couple weeks ago I installed a Labroila Jockey shift. After relearning how to ride, I've put a few miles on. BUT the bike just doesn't "feel right"

seems slower than usual, not handling well and missing some low end torque. All a seat of the pants feeling.

I have the day to myself and decide I'll dig in and see if somethings going on that I can find. I start thinking I recently changed clutch cables and made a clutch adjustment. Lets start there, everything seemed fine. I pull plugs, look good, but change plugs and wires with a spare set I have. I go for a test ride and warm up fluids so I can do an oil change too since I have the time. No change in the bike

Get the bike up on the lift, and drain fluids. While things are draining I do my "normal" walk around touching everything, making sure everything tight, no leaks, check brake pads, all that fun stuff that I do when I do a routing service.....and what do I find?

Both my front and rear tire have less than 8 pounds of air. Don't know how or why. Finish my fluid change add air and go for a test ride.

Bike rides like new again

Something as simple as air in the tires had such a dramatic effect on the bike, I would have never believed it

Old 08-09-2014, 09:42 PM
dwoodlives
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default That brings back memories . . . .

Some 35 years ago or so I had a Pontiac station wagon that began making a growling noise in the rear end every time I turned left [or might have been right, it was a long time ago].

So I tore apart and rebuilt the rear end. New bearings, etc. Put it all back together and the noise was still there.

What was causing it? One of the rear tires was VERY low on pressure. Sh*t. Pumped it up and all was well in the world except how stupid I felt.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:07 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Something as simple as air in the tires had such a dramatic effect on the bike, I would have never believed it
Donno why it is but 99% always go straight to the worse case scenario when somethings off on a bike, I could spend hours telling stories about " major problems " that ended being something simple like a swing arm bolt or such. One guy was convinced his motor was going on an old shovel and I mean to the point he spent $$$$ buying all the rebuild stuff before letting me see the bike . Turned out to be a bad timing advance unit ( $35 ) and adjusting the primary chain took care of the " terrible rod knock " .

You learned a good lesson is how you need to look at it , it's all good .

Old 08-10-2014, 12:22 AM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
I know the feeling ... Not related to my bike but my home theater sound system suddenly started to sound off and really low on bass last week ... so what do I do, I pull it apart, check all connections in all 5 speakers, the central unit, even check the sub-woofer ... disconnect all the wires connected to it from all the devices (PS3, computer, TV and everything else) and don't find anything wrong. I went at it again today and after butting head for 3 hours, I find that my 2.5 yrs old boy has disconnected the subwoofer power plug from the wall.

I never felt that stupid before ...