General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HDForums Riding in the Rain

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 10:24 AM
William C
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HDForums Riding in the Rain

What is it about a rain ride that just seems to put a smile on my face. It seems lately that I can't ride enough when it's raining. It has turned into an almost cathartic experience allowing me to shrink my sense into my helmet and focus on the ride and what's happening in my little bubble. The rain pelting my helmet sounds amazing and even though the road is slippery, and certainly more dangerous than riding in the dry, I can't help but smile.

Some tips for riding in the rain:

https://www.hdforums.com/articles/tips-riding-rain/

Last edited by William C; 08-14-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:22 PM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I think you might have some issues my friend, seek professional help.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:39 PM
Hecklerboy
Road Warrior
Received 879 Likes on 382 Posts

Maybe it's because you're out there doing it while others have sought shelter.
It is a different experience riding in the rain.

One of the most memorable rides I've had was riding home one night on the interstate during a thunderstorm.
The rain was nice and cool after a hot day of riding and the lightning was amazing. Had a smile on my face the whole time.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:42 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree. Wearing the right gear, rain rides are enjoyable. Looking back over 30 years, times when it was pouring so hard I could barely see my hand in front of my face, were the best times. Getting to the destination and running inside to get out of the rain and dry off, then having a bourbon and cigar and chatting with friends while it poured outside. Definitely some good times. Getting caught unprepaired really sucks big time though!

Old 08-14-2014, 02:51 PM
gamble71
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 27,631 Likes on 9,198 Posts

can't say I like riding in the rain, but a half helmet probably has a lot to do with that.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:56 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I get it. One of the best rides I had was crossing alligator alley at night a few years back. I checked the doppler just before I left Naples heading for Ft. Lauderdale about 10 pm. There was a giant thunderstorm right in the middle. The nasty kind with lots of red on the radar screen. I put my rain gear on, cranked up the tunes and took off.

The lightning slashing and lighting up the sky. The rain and wind, like a monsoon driving and pelting. Smoke on the Water blasting from my speakers and the steady, reassuring drone of my V-twin adding it's own thunder made an unforgettable scene. I was smiling from ear to ear.

After about 45 minutes I punched out the other side of the storm into clear skies. I was all but dry by the time I made Ft. Lauderdale. The beer tasted especially good when I reached my destination that night.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:57 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,176 Likes on 6,218 Posts

I guess I am getting old and soft. I avoid riding in the rain or getting caught in the rain although it did happen on a dreadful trip back from New Orleans last year. My eyes were crying making it hard to see through my goggles due to the pain of the rain drops disguised as needles piercing my sunburned face. Yeah, I was wearing a half helmet and no fairing or windshield.

The idiocy of people in cars seems to be much worse in the rain. I also dread cleaning the bike afterwards.

When I was in high school I would ride regardless of the weather and even rode through a hurricane once.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:01 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
I guess I am getting old and soft.
That's what she said

Old 08-14-2014, 03:58 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't mind to ride under the rain at all, except that I hate to ride when it has lightnings.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:17 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by dgdamore
I get it. One of the best rides I had was crossing alligator alley at night a few years back. I checked the doppler just before I left Naples heading for Ft. Lauderdale about 10 pm. There was a giant thunderstorm right in the middle. The nasty kind with lots of red on the radar screen. I put my rain gear on, cranked up the tunes and took off.

The lightning slashing and lighting up the sky. The rain and wind, like a monsoon driving and pelting. Smoke on the Water blasting from my speakers and the steady, reassuring drone of my V-twin adding it's own thunder made an unforgettable scene. I was smiling from ear to ear.

After about 45 minutes I punched out the other side of the storm into clear skies. I was all but dry by the time I made Ft. Lauderdale. The beer tasted especially good when I reached my destination that night.
I lived outside Ft Lauderdale and riding in the rain is a daily occurrence in the summer. That said, motorcycles and lightning don't mix. I'd usually pull over or wait it out during thunderstorms. Hey, they pass by quick.

Quick Reply: HDForums Riding in the Rain