General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking son for a ride?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 12:16 AM
wuaname
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking son for a ride?

How do the parents here deal with taking or not taking your kids on the motorcycle? Or those that have had to deal with this in the past?

In my case, my son is 14.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:43 AM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

14? My father died when I was 12 and I had a ton of riding experiences with him. Strap on a helmet, explain the rules of 2 up riding.. and get on with it!

Old 08-24-2014, 12:43 AM
Dutch1976
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take my nieces and nephews around the block, stuff like that. I have no interest in taking them out in serious traffic, even if they had helmets and gear.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:23 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Ha! When my wife lets me. My 7 yr old can reach the pegs comfortably and hold although I don't have a back rest for him. Trying to convince the spouse for around the block were in a very rural area

Old 08-24-2014, 01:52 AM
pavespawn
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 8 year old is regularly waiting for me when I get home from work. We go around the block and on some lesser travelled back roads. He gets a big kick out of it. He usually wears a DOT helmet but he had on his skate helmet for this short trip around my neighborhood. When we go now he knows to have on pants and long sleeves and gloves.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:16 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can say is HOOORAAAAY to all of you that ride with your children safely. It will give them memories that will last a lifetime.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:17 AM
big-e976
Cruiser

My daughter has been riding with me since she was 11 years old. She just has to wear all the gear. She just rode 150 miles with me today.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:57 AM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Minimum age for riding as a passenger can vary by jurisdiction. Typically, most require that the rider is tall enough to reach the foot pegs and wears a DOT helmet, also long pants, long sleeve shirt, gloves and whatever additional safety gear that the parent / guardian thinks would be appropriate. Best bet is to check with local law enforcement if you have any specific questions.

To put this in context, let's not forget that there are 7,and 8 year olds riding 50cc dirt (off-road) bikes... a good way to acclimate your child to being on an appropriately sized two wheel vehicle.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will'.
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Old 08-24-2014, 03:22 AM
Porschemaniac
Advanced

I've been riding most of my life and have 3 grown sons ( oldest road races wera - middle has a 13 road glide and is my riding buddy and youngest is into quads) I now have a 7 year old daughter that loves to ride. It's been jetskis for the last few years and this year she started riding the bikes with me. She wears all safety items ( full face helmet-boots-gloves-leather jacket - jeans) when we ride. On the sportster I wear a powermadd harness for her to hold onto and the sissy bar gets installed. On the ultra I usually wear it but she sits back against the tour pack. She totally loves to ride. We go on longer rides regularly for her to get more use to it. We have hand signals we use on the bike to communicate. She wants to take the bikes everywhere. We enjoy the daddy- daughter time that's just the 2 of us. Here's her getting ready to leave the shop for a ride home. Take him riding. Be safe and make memories.

Attached Thumbnails Taking son for a ride?-image.jpg  
Old 08-24-2014, 03:37 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
Ha! When my wife lets me. My 7 yr old can reach the pegs comfortably and hold although I don't have a back rest for him. Trying to convince the spouse for around the block were in a very rural area
Sorry to hijack the thread a little - but Robbyville - what seat do you have on your bike there?

Quick Reply: Taking son for a ride?