General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do you guys install the SE compensator in your bikes ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 04:07 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,379 Likes on 1,163 Posts
Default Why do you guys install the SE compensator in your bikes ?

Why is the SE better then the stock unit.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:34 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

The 2014 SE design has addressed the lack of oiling getting to the compensator. Is it perfect, no - that's why I am patiently waiting for the Darkhorse solution.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:01 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,233 Likes on 903 Posts

In my case it sounded like some thing in the primary wanted to be out side the primary. When I started it. It would kick back. Like the cam on the sprocket was jumping over its self. When I disassembled the old comp sprocket it was such a Mickey Mouse setup. The SE comp sprocket is a lot better. After 20,000 miles no problems with SE comp sprocket. This is just me. I think HD builds their stock bikes with below par parts. That way they can sell customers their Screaming Eagle parts. More $ in their pockets. If they really cared about the people that keep them in business they would put the SE products in the "floor models".

Old 08-26-2014, 07:38 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

The SE compensator is more stout than the stock.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:53 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
The 2014 SE design has addressed the lack of oiling getting to the compensator. Is it perfect, no - that's why I am patiently waiting for the Darkhorse solution.
I hope you have a lot of patience then, it's been years now.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:55 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

For lack of a better term, it has a "tab" that keeps it oiled. I replaced mine at 27,500 miles.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:55 PM
doug62
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by OLD 96
In my case it sounded like some thing in the primary wanted to be out side the primary. When I started it. It would kick back. Like the cam on the sprocket was jumping over its self. When I disassembled the old comp sprocket it was such a Mickey Mouse setup. The SE comp sprocket is a lot better. After 20,000 miles no problems with SE comp sprocket. This is just me. I think HD builds their stock bikes with below par parts. That way they can sell customers their Screaming Eagle parts. More $ in their pockets. If they really cared about the people that keep them in business they would put the SE products in the "floor models".
I maybe wrong but didn't HD switch over to the SE compensator for all stock bikes in 2011?

Old 08-26-2014, 07:57 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

The SE comp IS the stock comp on 2014's , I had to install one due to lack of a better option. At least BDL has one out now that seems to work well,So far so good on the few people on these forums useing them. Also FYI, GMR performance is testing a thrust washer to replace the needle bearings in the 14a comps.
Don't know if that'll fix em, because photo's of them show wear on the ramps that looks like they're made out of lead. Not hardend or polished quality steel. I'll be opening mine up in a few weeks to have a look. Will post photos and mileage. I also added the Compensaver and Hayden tensioner at the same time to try an make it last longer.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:58 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,969 Likes on 1,718 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
Why do you guys install the SE compensator in your bikes ?
Because I read on the internet that it was necessary, and if it's on the internet it has to be true.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:04 PM
Hocus-Pocus
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

The SE compensator is JUNK! I replaced the stock one with the SE and, wish I hadn't wasted my money!!! I have a BDL compensator that I've been waiting to install...just havn't had the time yet.

Quick Reply: Why do you guys install the SE compensator in your bikes ?