General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rider And 14" Ape Hangers

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 11:50 AM
ctchap
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rider And 14" Ape Hangers

I'm about to trade my 81 Z28 Camaro for a nice 2000 Dyna Low Rider. It is in another state and I have not actually seen it in person just pictures and a video. But if it is as nice in person, it's a done deal. I have ridden bikes some but not much and it's been a while, bout 8 years. I don't have my license endorsement yet and upcoming MSF courses are full already so I will just go to local dmv to get legal. Are the 14" ape hangers that are already on the bike gonna be hard to handle in the parking lot driving test for a beginner? I am 5'10" tall if that matters. I live out in the sticks and plan on practicing before going up to dmv. I will get another set of bars with the bike. They are drag bars I think if I'm not mistaken. Short T-shaped ones with two vertical posts. Would it be better to put those back on it? Sorry for my lack of knowledge but that's why I joined this forum.

Thanks, Charlton

Old 08-27-2014, 01:21 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

personally I think the apes will be easier then the drag bars. 16's on my WG, my Sporty had real low bars. I like the apes better for sure.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:26 PM
Hurricane19
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckw2
personally I think the apes will be easier then the drag bars. 16's on my WG, my Sporty had real low bars. I like the apes better for sure.
I agree. Drag bars are usually closer together and are actually a little harder to do tight turns with IMO.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:44 PM
FredAndrews
Tourer

No problems

Old 08-27-2014, 01:59 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

It's just a matter of getting used to them. It took me a few hours to get used to my 14" apes after putting them on. No problems doing slow speed parking lot maneuvers.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:04 PM
FredAndrews
Tourer

Old 08-27-2014, 02:35 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Yup, I think apes make handling much easier. Especially when comparing them to drag bars.

Congrats on the bike and welcome to the forum!

Old 08-27-2014, 03:49 PM
ctchap
Advanced

Thank you for the replies. Department of Highway Safety found me a opening in a class Oct. 24-26th. So even if I get my endorsement before then, I'm still doing the safety course as well. I paid $100 and I'll use their small bike. I'm 44 so I've lost my bullet proofness and want to be safe for myself and anyone else on road.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:12 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ctchap
Thank you for the replies. Department of Highway Safety found me a opening in a class Oct. 24-26th. So even if I get my endorsement before then, I'm still doing the safety course as well. I paid $100 and I'll use their small bike. I'm 44 so I've lost my bullet proofness and want to be safe for myself and anyone else on road.
Nice! Whether you've never ridden or are just getting back into riding, a safety course can never hurt and will be well worth the investment.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:02 PM
ctchap
Advanced

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
Nice! Whether you've never ridden or are just getting back into riding, a safety course can never hurt and will be well worth the investment.
Thanks. The exact thoughts I have on it.

Quick Reply: New Rider And 14" Ape Hangers